Samuel H. Aronson
Sam Aronson has continued Brookhaven's commitment to excellence in science, Laboratory operations, and community service. Prior to becoming Laboratory Director, Aronson served as Brookhaven's Associate Laboratory Director for High Energy & Nuclear Physics, managing the Laboratory's largest directorate and overseeing the operation of the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider. Aronson is a Fellow of the American Physical Society and of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Praveen Chaudhari came to Brookhaven after a distinguished career at IBM. Chaudhari worked to ensure the Laboratory's future by investing in an upgrade to the National Synchrotron Light Source, known as NSLS-II; construction of the Center for Functional Nanomaterials; and interdisciplinary science essential for breakthroughs in energy and the life sciences. He also oversaw construction of the Research Support Building. Chaudhari holds 22 patents, including the patent for the erasable, read-write compact disk technology. He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Engineering, as well as a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the American Physical Society.
Interim Director, 2001-2003
As Deputy Director for Science & Technology under Lab Director John Marburger, Peter Paul stepped in as Interim Director when Marburger was called to Washington, D.C. to head the Office of Science & Technology Policy. When Praveen Chaudhari was named Laboratory Director, Paul again became Deputy Director. He retired from this position in 2004 to return to his distinguished professorship at Stony Brook University. A Fellow of the American Physical Society, Paul won the Alexander von Humboldt Senior Scientist Award in 1983. He was a member of the DOE/National Science Foundation Nuclear Science Advisory Committee from 1980 to 1983 and served as chair of the committee from 1989 to 1992.
John H. Marburger, III
A former president of Stony Brook University, John Marburger was the first Laboratory Director appointed by BSA, which assumed management of Brookhaven Lab in 1998. Marburger's administration was marked by an overarching goal: to do world-class science while ensuring public health, employee safety and the protection of the environment. Marburger is recognized for his outstanding leadership in building public trust in the Laboratory by developing an open and honest relationship with stakeholders. In 2001, Marburger left Brookhaven to become Director of the Office of Science & Technology Policy, an office within the White House.
Peter D. Bond
Interim Director, 1997-1998
Stepping up from his post as Physics Department Chair to become Interim Deputy Director under Lyle Schwartz, Peter Bond then served as Brookhaven's Interim Director during the transition from AUI to Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) as manager of the Lab for the Department of Energy (DOE). Bond acknowledged DOE's and the public's concern about the Lab's ability to respect the environment, safety and health (ES&H) while doing forefront science. To help change the culture at the Laboratory, he carried out a management improvement plan that integrated ES&H issues into all aspects of the Laboratory's management and increased communication within the Lab and between the Lab and its stakeholders. Bond is a Fellow of both the American Physical Society and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Interim Director, 1997
As incoming AUI President, Lyle Schwartz served briefly as the Laboratory's Interim Director. AUI managed Brookhaven Lab from 1947 to 1998. In the aftermath of a tritium leak from Brookhaven's High Flux Beam Reactor that caused community concern, the Department of Energy decided, in 1997, to terminate AUI's management contract. AUI continues to operate the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Charlottesville, Virginia, under contract with the National Science Foundation.
Nicholas P. Samios
As Laboratory Director, Nicholas Samios led the decade-plus effort to win funding for and then construct the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC), a world-class facility for nuclear physics research. Also initiated under Samios' 15-year tenure, the longest of any Lab Director, were the Center for Imaging and Neuroscience, an expansion of the National Synchrotron Light Source, the creation of the Center for Accelerator Physics, and the establishment of the RIKEN BNL Research Center. He also broke ground for construction of the Child Development Center and the Science Education Center. Samios first came to Brookhaven as a summer student, in 1952. Today, he serves as Deputy Director of the RIKEN/BNL Research Center. A member of the National Academy of Sciences, Samios won the W.K.H. Panofsky Prize in recognition of the omega-minus discovery.
George H. Vineyard
Coming from a faculty position at the University of Missouri, George Vineyard joined the Laboratory in 1954, rising to the directorship position in 1973. During Vineyard's nine-year administration, Brookhaven pursued a strong program in basic research and, in response to national needs, considerably increased its applied research, particularly in energy programs. Also during this time, the National Synchrotron Light Source was developed and constructed. When he resigned as director, Vineyard returned to full-time research in solid-state theory. He died in 1987, shortly after becoming President-elect of the American Physical Society.
Maurice Goldhaber came to Brookhaven in 1950 from the University of Illinois, where he had been on the faculty. He was named Brookhaven Director in 1961. During his tenure, the High Flux Beam Reactor and the Tandem Van de Graaff were built. A number of important discoveries were made in particle physics, while the Laboratory also moved further into interdisciplinary research in non-nuclear fields. His research contributions are in nuclear physics and fundamental particles, and Goldhaber received the National Medal of Science in 1985. Winning the Enrico Fermi Award in 1999, Goldhaber was cited for his lifetime of distinguished research in nuclear and particle physics, including his experiments providing key support for the standard model, and for his leadership and vision as a science research manager.
Leland J. Haworth
Leland Haworth is credited with building a fledgling laboratory into a world-renowned center for research, particularly in high- energy physics. Among the "big machines" designed and put into operation under his direction were the Brookhaven Graphite Research Reactor, the Cosmotron and the Alternating Gradient Synchrotron. In 1961, Haworth was appointed a member of the Atomic Energy Commission, and in 1963, President Kennedy asked him to become Director of the National Science Foundation, a post he held for six years. Haworth died in 1979.
Philip M. Morse
Associated Universities, Inc. (AUI) was formed in 1946 to establish Brookhaven National Laboratory for the federal government. AUI appointed Philip Morse to serve as Brookhaven's first director. It was his job to staff and equip the new research laboratory on the site of the former Army Camp Upton. Morse was on leave from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) when he headed the Laboratory, and he remained affiliated with MIT until his death in 1985. Morse was awarded the Presidential Medal for Merit for his contributions to the Navy's anti-submarine campaign in World War II.