Radiological Control Division
Steve Coleman, Division Manager
Provides technical assistance, regulatory interpretation,
coverage for radiological operations, radiological engineering,
internal/external dosimetry services, instrumentation services, and
on- and off-site radiological emergency response.
- Radiological Engineering – Henry Kahnhauser, ext.
- Instrumentation and Calibration – Maintains site
radiation protection instruments; provides radiological
measurement engineering support; Designs and fabricates special
monitoring applications; Facility Instrumentation Systems Design
Reviews; Mechanical/electronic repair services available for
nonradiological BNL equipment – Tim Welty, ext. 4212.
- Personnel Monitoring – Provides internal (whole-body
counting and urine assay for non-gamma-emitting radionuclides)
and external (Type A and B badges, rings, environmental
monitoring, and area monitoring badges) dosimetry services.
Fully accredited by the DOE. - Benny Hooda (interim), ext 8107.
- Facility Support – Provides field support for the
implementation of ESH&Q program by departments and divisions.
Includes professionals and technicians deployed into the
department’s facilities who provide job coverage, experimental
and design reviews, job planning, and RWP preparation. Can serve
as the first point of contact for ES&H issues – Dennis Ryan,
- Authorization Basis Program, including Facility Hazard
Categorization, Hazards Analysis, Accelerator Safety and Nuclear Safety
– Gerry Shepherd, ext. 5233.
- Safety Management Systems Integration Program provides
support to BNL in the development, implementation, planning, and
integration of systems and programs that identify and control ES&H risks
and vulnerabilities and that continue to improve/sustain Integrated
Safety Management - Gerry Shepherd, ext. 5233.
- External Regulation Coordination for NRC and OSHA – Gerry
Shepherd, ext. 5233.
Last Modified: August 13, 2012
Please forward all questions about this site to: