Charter, Science and Technology Steering Committee
of the Board of
Charter Revised: November 8, 2006
Composition of the Committee
- The Committee serves at the pleasure of the Board.
- The committee consists of two members selected by each Board
Institution (16 members), and up to four additional members that may be
nominated by the BNL Director to assure broad and diverse programmatic
- Members of the STSC serve for three-year terms, which can be renewed
- Membership turnover should be staggered to assure continuity.
- The STSC elects its Chair and Deputy Chair for three-year terms.
The STSC, in cooperation with the BNL Deputy Director for S&T, determines
the frequency of meetings, but no less than twice in each calendar year.
- The Committee reports to the BSA Board. The Committee Chair or
Deputy Chair sends a summary report of each Committee meeting to the
Chair of the BSA Board. The Chair attends Board meetings at least once
- The Committee also reports its findings to the Director and Deputy
Director for Science & Technology of BNL.
- The Laboratory point of contact of the Committee is the BNL Deputy
Director for Science & Technology.
- The Committee will advise on candidates for Laboratory Director and Deputy Director for S&T.
- The Committee provides scientific advice and guidance to the BNL
Director and to the Deputy Director for S&T.
- The Committee oversees the self-assessment of science and technology
programs and provides quality assurance.
- It is provided with overviews of research proposals, projects,
progress, and provides formal comments to the Director and cognizant
- It commissions independent visiting committees and peer reviews
on a regular basis, and can establish ad hoc study panels in
cooperation with the Deputy Director for S&T.
- The Committee conducts reviews of tenure cases and makes
recommendations to the Board.
- The Committee is advised of termination of employment of tenured
scientists and makes a recommendation to the Board.
Deputy Director for Science & Technology
Last Modified: May 31, 2013