P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
phone 631 344-2345
fax 631 344-3368
managed for the U.S. Department of Energy
by Brookhaven Science Associates, a company
founded by Stony Brook University and Battelle
2003 Elementary School Science Fair
at Brookhaven Lab, May 10
EVENT: Elementary School Science Fair
WHEN: Saturday, May 10, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
WHERE: Berkner Hall, Brookhaven National Laboratory. The Lab is located on William Floyd Parkway, one-and-a-half miles north of Exit 68 of the LI Expressway.
DETAILS: Over 100 Suffolk County schools will participate in the 2003 BNL Elementary School Science Fair, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy's Brookhaven National Laboratory. Some 485 science projects, created by over 500 children ranging in age from kindergarten through grade 6, will compete in the fair. (See list of participating schools.)
The student projects will include experiments, demonstrations, charts, diagrams or collections with a scientific objective. Here is a sampling of titles: "Oxidation’s Creations,” "Seven Day Bananas" and "Does Music Affect Math?”
Brookhaven scientists and local elementary school teachers will judge the projects. Each student will receive a ribbon for representing his/her school in the fair. First-prize medals will be awarded, one for each grade level, and honorable mention medals will also be given. Banners will be awarded to the schools of the first-place winners.
The media are invited to attend. Because of space limitations, the Science Fair is not open to the general public. All visitors age 16 and older must bring a photo ID to be admitted to the Laboratory site.
The schedule for May 10 is as follows:
- 9 - 11 a.m. - Students will set up their projects in Berkner Hall.
- 11 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. - Judging. The fair is closed to students and parents.
- 1:30 - 4 p.m. - Open House. Students and parents may view projects.
- 2:15 - 2:30 p.m. - Awards presentation for kindergarten.
- 2:30 - 2:45 p.m. - Awards presentation for first grade.
- 2:45 - 3 p.m. - Awards presentation for second grade.
- 3 - 3:15 p.m. - Awards presentation for third grade.
- 3:15 - 3:30 p.m. - Awards presentation for fourth grade.
- 3:30 - 3:45 p.m. - Awards presentation for fifth grade.
- 3:45 - 4 p.m. - Awards presentation for sixth grade.
All projects will be dismantled and taken home by 4:15 p.m.
School Districts Represented in
2003 BNL Elementary School Science Fair
Academy of St. Joseph
Emanuel Lutheran School
Harbor Country Day
Laurel Hill School
Our Lady of the Hamptons
Prince of Peace Regional
St. Paul’s Lutheran School
St. Patrick’s School