BGRR Graphite Removal Began

February 2010

BGRR Graphite Removal Began

Remotely excavating graphite from the BGRR pile

History

The Brookhaven Graphite Research Reactor (BGRR) operated from 1950 to 1968. Planning for final decommissioning of the reactor began in 1997. The Record of Decision determining the cleanup remedy was signed in March 2005.

Remedial Action

The BGRR graphite pile was a 25-foot cube consisting of 60,000 graphite blocks weighing approximately 1.4 million pounds. Following extensive preparation, training, and readiness reviews, removal of the graphite, via a remote-controlled hydraulic excavator, began February 4, 2010. BNL completed the graphite removal in May 2010. Approximately 700 metric tons of graphite was loaded into more than 250 containers and shipped offsite via flatbed truck for disposal at DOE's Nevada Test Site.

ARRA funding was provided to complete the final stages of the project.