550-gallon Gasoline Tank Discovered
In May 1990, an abandoned 550-gallon underground gasoline tank was discovered under the asphalt on the west side of the Central Steam Facility, Building 610. Brookhaven National Laboratory records show that the tank was in operation from 1948 until approximately 1963. Excavation and inspection of the tank revealed several large rusted-out holes. Soil from beneath the tank smelled of petroleum. The contaminated soil was excavated until the organic vapor content of the remaining soil was less than 50 ppm. The depth and lateral extent of the excavation were not documented; however, approximately 12 cubic yards of soil were excavated. The hole was backfilled with clean soil under authorization from the Suffolk County Department of Health Services.