Sludge Removed From Imhoff Tanks
Sludge containing low levels of radioactive material was removed from two World War II-era waste settling tanks at the Sewage Treatment Plant. The Imhoff tanks were used between 1947 and 1967 for the separation of sewage solids from wastewater. The tanks were abandoned in 1967 when the plant was upgraded. More than 64,000 gallons of sludge was shipped to an off-site waste disposal site. The tanks were dismantled in 1997 and shipped off-site. The area was backfilled with clean soil.