Former Landfill Capped
Three areas including the Former Landfill, the Slit Trench, and the Interim Landfill were capped during 1996. The eight-acre Former Landfill was originally used by the U.S. Army. BNL used three acres of it from 1947 through 1966. It was used for low-level radioactive waste from 1953 to 1966. The Slit Trench was used for construction debris from 1960 to 1967. The Interim Landfill operated from 1966 to 1967 while the Current Landfill was built.