Center for Emergent Superconductivity
PI Home | CES Home
- St Olaf College, Physics, B.A. (1973)
- Stanford University, Physics, Ph.D. (1978)
- Stanford University, Post-doctoral fellow (1978-1981)
Academic / Professional Appointments
- Professor, Department of Physics, UIUC, 1998–present
- Research Manager, Ginzton Research Center, Varian Associates,
- Member of Technical Staff, Central Research, 3M Corporation,
- Post-doctoral research fellow, Stanford University, 1978–1981
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American Physical Society (2005)
- Incomplete list of teachers ranked as excellent (2004)
- Accenture excellent advisor award (2002)
- DuPont Graduate Fellowship (1973-1976)
- National Merit Scholar (1969-1973)
- James N. Eckstein, “Oxide Interfaces: Watch out for the lack of Oxygen”,
Nature Materials 7, 473 (2007)
- Seongshik Oh, Joseph A. Bonetti, Kevin Inderhees, D. J. VanHarlingen and
J. N. Eckstein, “Spatially selective and reversible doping control in
cuprate thin films”, Appl Phys Lett 87, 231911 (2005)
- D. A. Farias and J. N. Eckstein, Dynamic electrooptic frequency shifter
for pulsed light signals, IEEE J Quant Elect 41 94-99 (2005).
- Seongshik Oh, M. Warusawithana and J. N. Eckstein, Electric field effect
on insulating cuprate planes, Phys Rev B 70, 64509/1-5 (2004)
- Bruce Davidson, Revaz Ramazshivili, Simon Kos and James N. Eckstein,
“Broken particle-hole symmetry at flat a-axis YBCO interfaces”, Phys. Rev.
Lett. 93, 107004/1-4 (2004)
- M. R. Warusawithana, E. V. Colla, J. N. Eckstein and M. B. Weissman,
Artificial dielectric superlattices with broken inversion symmetry, Phys.
Rev. Lett 90 036802–1/4 (2003).
- J. N. Eckstein, J. O’Donnell, S. Oh, A.E. Andrus, M. Warusawithana, E.
Bertram B.A. Davidson, I. Bozovic, “Defect scattering in high Tc and
colossal magnetoresistive tunnel junctions”, Physica C 335, 184 (2000)
- J. O’Donnell, A. E. Andrus, S. Oh, E. V. Colla, and J. N. Eckstein,
Colossal magnetoresistance magnetic tunnel junctions grown by molecular-beam
epitaxy, Appl Phys Lett 76, 1914-1916 (2000)
- J.N. Eckstein I. Bozovic, “High temperature superconducting multilayers
and heterostructures grown by atomic layer by layer molecular beam epitaxy”,
Annual Review of Materials Science 25, 679 (1995)
- C. Webb and J. N. Eckstein, Anisotropy in electronic transport of
modulation doped structures having strained InGaAs wells, J Cryst Growth
111, 309-311 (1991).
- J. N. Eckstein, C. Webb, S.-L. Weng and K. A. Bertness, Photoemission
oscillations during epitaxial growth, Appl Phys Lett 51, 1833-1835 (1987).
- J. N. Eckstein, A. I. Ferguson and T. W. Hänsch, High-resolution
two-photon spectroscopy with picosecond light pulses, Phys. Rev. Lett. 40,
847-850 (1978). (invention of the optical frequency comb)
- Ph.D. Thesis Advisor: T. W. Hänsch
- Graduate co-Advisor : A. L. Schawlow
- Postdoctoral Sponsors: W. Fairbank
Last Modified: November 9, 2009