It is a requirement at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) that all injuries
and illnesses must be investigated, with worker participation, by qualified BNL
investigative personnel. Investigations of incidents that involve occupational
injury and/or occupational illness are conducted using a graded approach that
takes into account the severity and consequences of the incident, as well as the
potential value in lessons learned. Prompt and complete investigation of incidents
and accidents are keys to identifying the causes and establishing effective
corrective actions to prevent recurrence.
This subject area applies to all BNL employees, contractors, guests, and students
and describes the notification and investigation process for occupational injuries
or illnesses that occur while performing work in accordance with their jobs at
BNL(on- or off-site), including those that occur while the employee is on business travel.
- Application of Graded Approach (Examples) (doc) provides guidance in applying a graded approach to injury/illness incident analyses.
- BNL Occupational Injuries and Illnesses: Employee, Supervisor and ESH Coordinator
- First Aid - 10 CFR 1904 Definition (doc) describes the OSHA definition of a First Aid case.
- Guidelines for the Development of Corrective Actions (doc) provides information to ensure corrective actions are “SMART” (i.e., specific, measureable, accountable, reasonable, and timely).
- HPI ISM Error Precursor Evaluation Form (doc) can be used to help develop HPI and ISM issues for your analysis.
- Incident Bulletin (Example)
(ppt) provides a sample of an Incident Bulletin.
- Injured Worker's Statement (doc) provides the form to be completed by the injured worker.
- Injury-Illness Analysis Report Form (dot) provides the form used to guide the process and serve as the final report.
- Injury/Illness Investigation Tool
(doc) provides a tool to assist the investigator and guide the investigation thought process, and includes information
related to: walking and working areas/surfaces, tool/machine or equipment interface, vehicle incidents,
worker feedback, and causal factor categories.
- Injury/Illness Notification & Analysis Flowchart (doc) presents the overall injury/illness notification and analysis process.
- Interviewing Witnesses (doc) provides guidance on how to conduct an interview.
- List of Potential Causes (doc) presents potential causes for consideration by the team including those related to design/engineering, human
performance, management, equipment, training, communication, etc.
- Occupational Injury Classification Form (dot) can be used by the OSHA Recordkeeper to aid in injury classification. This is an internal document.
- Potential for Litigation (htm)
provides a list of
indications that the incident or injury may wind up in litigation. Litigation indicates that there
may be negative consequences to the Laboratory as a result of what may be uncovered during the
- Suggested Response
Items (doc) provides a list of items that may be useful during the investigation.
- Witness Form
(doc) provides a form to be used when interviewing a witness to the incident.