The Environmental Protection Division develops and delivers
high quality environmental products and services for all Brookhaven
National Laboratory stakeholders.* Line management at
Brookhaven National Laboratory is responsible and accountable for
environmental stewardship, and it is our job to provide them with
value-added, timely, effective and efficient support that enables
them to conduct operations in an environmentally responsible manner.
*Stakeholders include federal, state and local regulators, the
public, the U.S. Department of Energy, and internal customers
- Provides environmental technical support services and products
for the programs listed above to the Laboratory to enhance and
achieve environmental stewardship and compliance. These services and
products are comprehensive, responsive, integrated and coordinated,
and highly competent.
- Coordinates with the Environmental Management Directorate (Waste
Operations and Environmental Restoration) as necessary, particularly
on cross-cutting permitting and compliance issues (e.g., air
compliance aspects of waste operations).
- Provides environmental subject matter expertise to support
self-assessments by the line organizations.
- Recommends and assists in corrective actions to resolve
noncompliance issues, reviews corrective action plans upon request.
- Designs the Environmental Management System (EMS) for the Lab,
and ensures that EMS requirements are established and maintained.
- Coordinates the development and revision of lab environmental
- Coordinates or leads the development of environmental policies,
procedures/standards and processes, obtaining input from others as
appropriate. This includes preparing and maintaining environmental
compliance portions of lab-wide manuals and the Standards Based
Management System (SBMS).
- Develops environmental programs to ensure full compliance with
all applicable environmental requirements, and implements in
accordance with assigned roles and responsibilities.
- Maintains list of environmental requirements for EMS, Facility
Use Agreements, and the Laboratory contract.
- Reviews new environmental requirements for applicability and
implications to Lab, and recommends corresponding actions as
necessary (including communication to impacted programs).
- Schedules and leads EMS self-assessments in accordance with ISO
Compliance and Permitting
- Determines permit needs based on current or projected Laboratory
activities, and develops a permitting strategy.
- Prepares permit applications and works with the line to obtain
permits, exemptions or amendments. This includes coordinating
information gathering (from Laboratory personnel, etc.),
establishing schedules, preparing applications, coordinating
response to comments, preparing for hearings, maintaining a complete
set of environmental permits issued, etc.
- Compiles, reviews and submits environmental reports.
- Informs Laboratory personnel of violations or compliance concerns
discovered by ESD. Works with them to help develop and implement a
compliance strategy. Assists them in ensuring corrective actions are
brought to closure and that root causes are adequately addressed.
- Provides line management with support for compliance
inspections/audits conducted by DOE and regulators.
- Works with Legal to coordinate response to any environmental
Environmental Monitoring Program
- Integrates and manages site-wide environmental monitoring
- Tracks, trends and reports on monitoring data (including review
of suspect data in accordance with quality programs, preparation of
annual Site Environmental Report, etc.)
- Provides leadership for integration of cross-cutting groundwater
issues and programs (e.g., between ER and ESD).
- Communicates with management, management system owners, and staff
on key environmental issues.
- Advises facility and line organizations on applicable
environmental permitting requirements, provides them with copies of
permits and operation specific reports as appropriate.
- Ensures that information on environmental performance is
collected and communicated. Develops and tracks environmental
- Functions as primary point of contact for DOE on ESD
- Acts as liaison with regulators and DOE on environmental
compliance, monitoring and EMS issues. This includes providing
timely and effective responses to DOE information requests.
- Coordinates notification of environmental compliance violations
Critical Outcome Support
- Provides input during development of critical outcomes with
- Provides performance feedback relative to critical outcomes.
- Develops programs as necessary, in accordance with assigned
responsibilities, to support successful achievement of critical
Last Modified: December 9, 2009
Please forward all questions about this site to: