Listed below are the Visa categories that are primarily used at
Brookhaven National Laboratory. (Please note that these
visa types are used to gain physical access onto BNL site and not all are
acceptable for employment or conducting business / research activities.)
- B-1 Temporary visitor for business
- B-2 Temporary visitor for pleasure
- F-1 Academic Student
- F-2 Spouse or child of F-1
- H-1B Specialty Occupations
- J-1 Visas for exchange visitors
- J-2 Spouse or child of J-1
- O-1 Extraordinary ability in Sciences, Arts, Education, Business, or
- O-3 Spouse or child of O-1 or O-2.
- TN Trade visas for Canadians and Mexicans
- TPS Temporary Protected Status.
- H-4 Spouse or child of H-1, H-2, H-3
- O-2 Alienís (support) accompanying O-1
Guidelines for Departments hosting foreign
national guests requesting reimbursement for travel expenses and or per
*Please note in order for Host Department to request
payment of per diem and / or reimbursement for travel expenses to Accounts
Payable, the host Department must provide specific documentation for the
following visa types.
- F-1 visa holders must have OPT or CPT
authorization on I-20 form or EAD, or written permission from
International Services Advisor from their U.S.
Institution. *In cases involving
students of Stony Brook University, please contact Dept.
Admin. for details surrounding remuneration request to
determine whether or not there is a need for permission.
- J-1 visa holders must have written
permission from their International Services Advisor at the U.S. institution responsible for
sponsoring the J-1 visa.
- H-1B visa holders who have a BNL guest
appointment and / or their stay at BNL is more than 5 days,
must have written permission from an International Services
Advisor with their current U.S. employer.
Last Modified: June 29, 2012
Please forward all questions about this site to: