Employees should first check with their departments to ensure sponsorship, and then they should contact an International Services representative to further inquire about the process.
Note : Employee’s must be on a regular position in order to qualify for permanent residency (e.g. Postdoc’s do not qualify under Immigration Law)
GREEN CARD HOLDER OBLIGATIONS
1. A Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) 18 years and older must carry their LPR Card (Green Card) at all times (INA 264(e).
2. An LPR must complete an AR-11 within 10 days of changing their address (INA 265(A).
3. LPR males ages 18-25 must complete form DS-230 for Registration for the Selective Services.
GREEN CARD MAY BE REVOKED IF:
1. The person was not eligible to receive such status in the first place.
2. If the Permanent Resident is convicted of a deportable offence.
3. Abandonment of status.
4. Inadmissible at time of Adjustment of Status.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION - GREEN CARD LOTTERY
The Office of International Services would like to inform all foreign nationals and interested members of the BNL community of the US Department of State’s Diversity Visa Lottery program. This annual program makes permanent resident visas (green cards) available to persons who fit certain eligibility requirements through a computer-generated, random drawing method. On an annual basis, this program allocates up to 50,000 “diversity lottery” visas, drawn from random selection, to persons from countries with historically low rates of immigration to the United States.
For the fiscal year 2014, natives of the following countries are not eligible to apply because the countries sent a total of more than 50,000 immigrants to the United States in the previous five years:
The next application period for DV 2014 will start on October 2, 2012 (12noon EDT) until November 3, 2012 (12 noon EDT). For more information, go to: Diversity Immigrant Visa Program.