ITD Groups & Services
- Service Desk: Provides level I IT phone support and Account Management processing to
BNL users and guests.
- Deskside Support: Provides level II support for BNL
users and guests. Troubleshoot and repair computer hardware software or
printer related issues. New PC setups for users consisting of setting up
the caller’s new system to comply with all BNL policies and migrate the
caller’s data from their old system.
- Configuration Management: Provides level III
support and desktop management to BNL users and guests. Level III
support consists of troubleshooting desktop issues not resolved by
Deskside support. Desktop Management consists of using various software
tools to ensure all desktops on the BNL campus network have the required
security settings and critical security updates applied. The team will
also test new software and security setting changes to ensure they will
- Virus Protection: Providing/maintaining anti-virus software for the
Laboratory’s desktops and servers on the Windows platform, and responding
to virus-related emergencies.
- Windows System Administration: Remediation of Windows
desktops, managed with desktop and subnet scanning, Microsoft Windows Update,
and manual patch installations.
- Policy Development: Developing and communicating Cyber Security
policy and processes.
- Network and Application Review: Reviewing and approving all external connections to
and from the BNL Intranet.
- Incident Investigation: Investigating Cyber Security “incidents” that
are referred to the Cyber Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT). CSIRT
will assist local administrators with technical and forensic
- Intrusion Detection Management: Supporting the Intrusion Detection
system at BNL, which includes tracking events, assessing risk, and
continuously tuning the system to help mitigate identified risks.
- Counterintelligence and Anti-terrorism Support: Assisting
Counterintelligence and anti-terrorism efforts at the Lab.
- Technology Evaluation: Evaluating new security-related technologies to
assess their value to BNL’s scientific and administrative communities.
- Requirement Gathering: Gathering requirements and impact analyses from
the Lab’s Scientific communities to implement the right balance of Cyber
Security vs. open collaboration.
- Vulnerability Scanning: Providing system administrators with
patch information for the major Operating Systems at BNL;
sending alerts regarding high-risk vulnerabilities.
- Enterprise Applications: Administer and maintain
all enterprise software systems such as the Exchange
Enterprise email environment, Blackberry services.
- Server Infrastructure: Maintain all Administrative Servers
located in the data center of building 459, such as PeopleSoft
Financials, HR and Payroll, BNL NT1, Web Req, and SAF (NSLS).
- Computer Operations: Monitor and control the operation of all
Administrative Applications, operating systems, system backups located
in the data center of building 459 and the UNIX/Linux backups performed
in building 515.
- NTP Time Service
Network Time Protocol (NTP)
- Name Service and DNS: Registration and maintenance of IP
- LAN/WAN Consultation and Design: Design of high-speed TCP/IP LANS and
WANS; consultation and designs for Wireless data networks.
- Network Installations: Assistance is available for all new cable
installations and for modifications to existing networks; assistance in
network intra-structure configuration.
- LAN Troubleshooting & Operation: Troubleshooting Local Area Networks
and assistance with network hardware maintenance and administration.
- Pagers: Site-wide full-service tone, voice, and alphanumeric pagers.
An email-to-pager capability is also available.
- Telephones: Support of the BNL PBX telephone system, including, e.g.
standard single-line units, electronic multi-button sets and Cellular
- Voice Mail: Support of BNL’s Voice Mail system, and assistance with
using the extensive capabilities of the system.
- Video Conferencing Services: Provide Videoconferencing rooms,
equipment and reservation service, which facilitate individuals or groups
to collaborate with colleagues anywhere in the world.
- Audio Conferencing Services: Provide end-users with audio
conference bridge services.
- Streaming Video: Live broadcasts and prerecorded video on demand
programs are provided to the desktop.
BCF Facility Services
- Management of Brookhaven Computing Facility (BCF) -
The mission of BCF is to provide a modern, cost-effective,
centralized computing and network infrastructure to the
Laboratory's scientific and technical programs.
- BCF Safety Training - All BCF users are required to take BCF safety training before they are permitted to access the BCF without an escort. The course must be completed annually so that users stay familiar with potential hazards and learn of significant changes to the facility.
Click here to
- Hardware Server Support:
- Sun Solaris Clusters (Sun65, Sun2, etc.)
- ITD and CSC Linux Clusters
- Silicon Graphics Visualization Servers
- Riken BNL and USDOE Research Center QCDOC computers
- New York Center for Computational Sciences BlueGene/L Computer (New
- RHIC/Atlas Computing Center
- Several Other Departments’ Servers
- Web Hosting: Allows users to post web
pages on public or internal-only BNL web
- Content Management: For each web account, content can either be
maintained by the department, division, or project that owns it or
it can be updated and maintained by ITD's Application Services
- VeriSign Digital ID/SSL Certificates: An easy way to control
the issuing, renewing, and revoking of certificates, and the access
privileges associated with each certificate, is by having a
centralized management system. The Information Technology Division
(ITD) has the capabilities of managing SSL certificates for the
- Search Engine: Allows web content to be found when users type in
search "words" and /or "phases" in the BNL Search Engine. Unless websites are
indexed, users may not find your web pages when doing a web search.
- Web Statistics: View custom summary reports of web
activity and statistical information online. These reports are
generated from log files from web servers owned by ITD or by the
- Database Support: Database integration
using PHP/JDBC/MySQL/Oracle. Microsoft-based applications in the
following areas - Visual Basic, Active Server Pages (ASP), Active
Directory, Exchange, Transaction Server, SQL Server and Oracle.
- Maintain Scientific Software: Administer and maintain Unix
licensed and public domain software such as Mathematica and Ansys.
- Server Infrastructure: Maintain all Solaris/Linux Servers
located in the data center of building 515, such as SUN2, SUN65, and
the Linux clusters.
- Computer Operations: Monitor and control the
operation of all Solaris/Linux systems located in the data
center of building 515.
- Cluster Management: Monitor and operate the Linux and
Apple clusters located in the BCF Lab A.
- Support Critical Infrastructure Applications: SMTP
Email gateways, LDAP Directory services, Datacenter NIS, RedHat
Network Satellite Server, and DNS.
Installations: Support for installing, configuring and securing
your Unix/Linux machines.
- Web Hosting:
Includes CGI, PHP, MySQL, and JAVA. Space is available for your critical web site on our
high-availability toolbox machines, which are backed up daily.
- Mailing Lists:
Maintenance of the Mailman
server, serving over 325 mailing lists for the campus community,
allowing collaboration with users all over the world.
Last Modified: April 3, 2015
Please forward all questions about this site to: