Highlights of ESH Goals
By Ann Emrick
Each year we set goals to help improve our operations support. Here are some highlights as to what we accomplished in FY 08 and what we plan on doing to improve in FY09.
- We maintained a >95% completion rate for all required ESH training.
- Obtained BNL Pollution Prevention (P2) funds to purchase light and water timers (to be installed in FY09).
- Obtained Safety Solutions (S2) funds to install fall protection and review of rad work practices.
- Cleaned out many legacy materials. You may not consider this to be very important however it usually eliminates space charges, unnecessary hazards (chemicals, radioactive materials), housekeeping issues and administrative work from maintaining unwanted materials.
- 92% of the Safety Inspection (Tier I) findings were closed out on the spot –which is why it’s important researchers are in the lab during the inspection.
- Continue to dispose of unwanted materials, equipment, unwanted chemicals. Contact your building manager or ES&H Coordinator if you have anything you want to get rid of.
- Submit ideas to improve worker safety and/or the environment (see P2 and S2 article).
- Review your hazardous chemical inventory to ensure that everything is stored properly, the container is in good condition, labels are not faded or peeling and they are in secondary containment.
Last Modified: November 24, 2008
Please forward all questions about this site to: