First Likely Application of HTS: Interaction Region (IR) Magnets
Interaction region magnets for the next generation colliders
or luminosity upgrade of existing/proposed colliders
can benefit a lot from:
- the ability to produce very high fields
- the ability to deal with large energy deposition
- the ability to operate at elevated temperatures that need not be uniform
- For IR magnets, the performance, not the material cost is the issue.
- These magnets can be, and perhaps should be, replaced in a few years
(for LHC, the first installment may be due ~10 years from now)
All of above makes HTS a natural choice for next generation IR magnet R&D.