Field Quality in Common Coil Design
- an inherent up-down asymmetry both in the body and in the ends
- A proof of principle solution that overcomes this asymmetry.
=> A field quality comparable to cosine theta designs by using a similar amount of conductor.
Should remove the age-old conventional wisdom that “block designs” use more conductor than the “cosine theta magnets”.
* We just have to optimize the design a bit more carefully! *
- Saturation induced harmonics
- Persistent current induced harmonics
- could be a serious problem in Nb3Sn magnets.
- The proposed solution brings major savings as a bonus.