Near Term R&D Program at BNL
Present the results to accelerator community so it can make an informed decision about the viability of HTS in accelerators to take advantage of exciting benefits it offers.
- Build a series of 10 turn coils with better HTS cable
- Build ~40 turn coils after the technology is reasonably developed
- In parallel build ~12 T magnet with Nb3Sn to provide background field
- Assemble hybrid magnet to study issues related to the performance of HTS coils in high field environment
- Study field quality issues related to HTS magnets