An 18FDG brain scan.
Brookhaven has been one of the world’s leading research institutions for more than 60 years. Much of the science at Brookhaven is dedicated to understanding the basic nature of matter, including subatomic particles and the structure of the atom, and has led to extraordinarily useful applications. Here are just a very few examples of our discoveries, developments, inventions, and innovations:
- Created molecule-thick organic films on liquid mercury, helping build a foundation for the development of molecular electronics
- First caused individual carbon nanotubes to emit light, which may help with proposed electronics and photonics applications
- Invented better, cleaner, more efficient oil burners and devices to aid clean and efficient oil burning, saving U.S. residents more than $25 billion since 1980
- Developed 2-deoxy-2-[18F]fluoro-D-glucose, or 18FDG, now used in nearly every clinical positron emission tomography (PET) scan performed in hospitals around the world
- Invented magnetically levitated (MagLev) trains
- Initiated use of L-dopa for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease
- Developed thallium-201, used in hundreds of thousands of heart stress tests each year
- Developed the first Technetium-99m generator for rapid and convenient on-site labeling of Tc-99m, the most widely used imaging isotope in nuclear medicine
Learn about more Brookhaven discoveries.