NSLS Shipping Procedures
For shipments arriving at the NSLS from other locations,
please ship via Federal Express. If this is not possible, or if you have
any questions, please contact the Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL)
Shipping and Receiving Department (631-344-2300) for assistance. The information that will be requested is:
- # boxes and weight in pounds
- The location from which the package originates (name, address, phone #)
- What the package contains
- What the package contents will be used for
Each NSLS user should expect to pay prior to their shipment coming into Brookhaven National Laboratory. If the shipment is
of high dollar value and will incur the duty of over $1,000.US, the BNL broker should be used to apply for duty-free entry.
For shipments leaving the NSLS, all shipments must leave from Bldg. 98 and must have a Shipping Memo, a signed Process Knowledge
Certification Form, and MSDS paperwork, if required (see http://www.nsls.bnl.gov/esh/safety/shipping.htm
for additional information regarding MSDS paperwork or shipment of hazardous materials). NSLS users and staff, who do
not have access to the web, please contact a member of the Photon
Sciences Directorate's Administrative staff or visit the User
Administration Office in Building 725, Room 2-100.
If you do not have access to PeopleSoft Financials, you will need to fill out a Request for System Access form.
Photon Sciences Directorate Business Services must approve the form and it will be faxed to the Information Technology Division (ITD) to process. The following business day you should have access
to the system. From PeopleSoft Financials click Request/Forgot my Password to obtain a temporary password.
To access the Shipping Memo form, go to the BNL homepage, click on PeopleSoft Financials, Enter your User ID
(Life Number) and Password and click on the Sign-In Button. Click on Dept Admin Home Page, then Shipping Memo
(or after choosing PS Financials, you may click on Manage Shipments, then Use, then Shipping Memo).
To search for existing Shipping Memos, go to the tab entitled "Find an Existing Value," enter the search
criteria and click on the Search Button. Searches can be done for existing Shipping Memos by Shipping ID, or Shipping Memo
Status. Please Note: You will only be able to view shipping memos that you have created.
To add a new Shipping Memo:
- Click on the "Add a New Value" tab then click the "Add" Button.
- Shipments of hazardous material must be identified. Please
read and answer the questions regarding hazardous materials.
- The page called RTV Instructions is necessary if the material is to be returned to the vendor - click on the box "Return to Vendor".
- If it is a return to vendor item you need to fill in the reason (use drop down) and choose "Return for Credit or Return for Replacement"
- In the header section:
- Fill in the "Ship to" information
- Check the Employee ID, Dept., Bldg., Name, Ext., Tech. Contact, and Contact Phone
- NOTE: Make sure to include a phone number where you can be reached in case shipping has any questions regarding your shipment
- Enter a Purchase Order Number if needed
- If you enter a PO number, the information from the PO will automatically pre-fill the Shipping Memo. If this is not the correct address to return the material override the address. At this point, you can choose whether to Credit, Exchange, or Return for Replacement.
- Enter number of piece(s) being shipped
- In the Questions tab:
- Choose Ship Method (drop down list)
- Choose Ship Payment (drop down list)
- Enter Project and Activity
- Category 316 and Type MATER pre-fills automatically. These apply to the shipment, not the items being shipped
- Read the 4 questions,
- If "Yes" applies, click on the box next to the question
- Whether the questions do or do not apply, you must click on the box for the following question, "Are all questions answered?" This confirms that all questions were read
- In the Shipping Lines tab:
- Enter a complete description of the item(s) being shipped (this field is limited to 50 characters)
- Important Note: Do NOT abbreviate chemical names
- Enter quantity to ship
- Enter unit of measure
- Enter cost (this can be zero)
- Enter Return Material Authorization (RMA) Number and Line
- Check the box if you are shipping a capital equipment item and enter the Tag Number
- In the Comments tab:
- This section is required. You must enter a reason for the shipment. Your Shipping Memo will be denied if a reason has not been entered or is incomplete. The Shipping Memo cannot be submitted without the comments.
- If you wish to have your comments sent to the receiver of the shipment, check the box "Send Comments to Shipment Receiver?" and Shipping will include your comments with the shipment.
- If you click on the arrow next to the Comment's page you will see "Foreign Comments". If you shipment is going overseas the Export Control Group will review the purchase order for any discrepancies or export licenses that may be required. Please put in as much information as you can to help them determine how to proceed with the shipping memo. Once they approve the shipping memo they will electronically forward it to Shipping.
- The next tab is called "Attachments" if you require that a document be included in the shipment please scan it in and attach it to the shipping memo.
- Save and Submit:
- When you click on save, a message with the assigned number will appear. Click OK.
- Click on Submit
- Note: PLEASE Review the Shipping Memo before you Submit.
To print a shipping memo:
- Go to the Ship Memo Header page and select the Print Button, click OK
- You will receive an email message with the Shipping Memo Number; the Shipping Memo will be attached as a PDF doc.
- Open the PDF doc and print
IMPORTANT NOTE: You must attach the Shipping Memo and a Process Knowledge Form to your package.
Once the Shipping Department has sent your package, you will be able to view the Approval, Shipped dates,
Carrier, Bill of Lading, Weight, and Cost on the Ship Memo Header Section.
|Procurement and Property Management Division|
Traffic Office Building 98
|P.O. Box 5000|
|Upton, NY 11973-5000|
|Phone (631) 344-2300|
|Fax (631) 344-4910|
|managed by Brookhaven Science Associates|
|for the U.S. Department of Energy|
||April 27, 2009
||Shipping Procedures - NSLS
As per your request, I will outline the shipping procedures
regarding shipments directly from NSLS. Under normal circumstances,
all packages, for shipment from the Lab, have to be picked up, by
the carrier, at building 98. This is to insure that all hazardous
materials have been properly identified and are packed according to
the Department of Transportation (DOT), 49 Code of Federal
Regulations (CFR). These regulations govern all shipments throughout
the United States. In addition, the Lab is required to follow
International Air Transport Association (IATA) regulations, which
govern air shipments. |
The requisitioner may make arrangements with their own carrier.
However, all shipments still must leave from building 98. Detailed
information about these shipments must be noted on the shipping memo
in the section: "Justification for Premium Transport (Refer to S&M
S. O. P. 171.4) and/or Additional Instructions." This includes the
name of the carrier, their telephone number, RMA #'s and an account
number (a FedEx account number is acceptable).
I am aware that from time to time there will be shipments, which
require us to make exceptions to the normal procedures. These unique
circumstances usually relate to materials that are delicate or
unusually large. If these circumstances exist, and in order to
lessen the chance of damage to delicate equipment or not add
unnecessary costs to move large equipment to 98, arrangements can
be made to have the shipment inspected at your site and picked up,
by the carrier, at the same location.
Under the unique circumstances noted, please follow the procedures listed below:
- The material is properly surveyed and has a Process Knowledge Form.
- A shipping memo is forwarded to Shipping, in building 98, that accurately describes
the materials and equipment in the shipment. An attachment is acceptable.
- Special instructions are entered on the shipping memo (Reason for Shipment Section), requesting that the
shipment be made directly from NSLS detailing the reasons for direct shipment. In addition, you can request
that a specific carrier be used. You must also note the method of payment should be indicate - usually an
- Shipping will contact the requestor to discuss the shipment and make arrangements to look at the shipment.
It should be noted, that making Shipping aware of these shipments, as soon as it is determined that special
handling is require, will facilitate the process and lessen the likelihood that any delays will be encountered.
- All materials must be identified and labeled; MSDS's should be included if necessary. Shipping personnel must
do inspection and packaging.
I would like to reiterate that "unique circumstances" should not
be used for the convenience of the person shipping. Shipments from
the Laboratory must be processed through 98 to ensure that
packaging and shipping regulations are followed and BNL is not
exposed to potential fines for DOT violations. If you have any
questions please do not hesitate to contact me at extension 2300.