Trichloroethylene Spill Discovered
During the Historical Site Review, which was conducted after BNL was placed on the Environmental Protection Agency's National Priorities List, it was discovered that approximately 1,800 gallons of trichloroethylene (TCE) had been discharged onto the ground between 1951 and 1953 in the vicinity of what is now the Physic's Building courtyard, Bldg. 515.
During remedial investigations for Operable Unit III no residual soil or groundwater contamination was found in the area, however, elevated levels of TCE were found in the groundwater between Princeton Avenue and the South Boundary Road. The groundwater treatment systems installed under Operable Unit III addressed this volatile organic compound (VOC) contamination.
The Historical Site Review was completed in July 1993.