Cleanup to be Accelerated by Recovery Act Funding
Energy Secretary Steven Chu announced on March 31, 2009 that BNL would receive $42 million under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to accelerate environmental cleanup work and create jobs.
The projects identified for funding at BNL include:
- Removal of contaminated soils at the Former Hazardous Waste Management Facility Perimeter Area
- Removal of the Building 801/811 underground transfer waste lines
- Removal of the graphite pile from the BGRR
- Removal of the Building 704 and 802 fanhouses
- Systems isolation at the HFBR to prepare for long-term surveillance and maintenance
- Demolition of the exhaust stack.
Click here for additional information on ARRA projects at BNL.