The United States Department of Energy (DOE) Community College Institutes are conducted at National Laboratories across the country. Each offers a ten-week summer research and educational training experience for highly motivated community college students.
Monday, June 5, 2017, at 7:00 a.m.
Friday, August 11, 2017, at 5:00 p.m.
Summer Application Due:
Friday, January 13, 2017, at 5:00 p.m.
For more information about this program, contact:
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Bldg.438 – P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
CCI Intern Interview: Electrochemical and spectrophotometric studies of conjugated polymers
The emphasis of this program is to equip students with the necessary tools that assist in the choice of career options, whether it is entering the workforce as a technician, pursuing an undergraduate degree, or both.
This program places students form community colleges in paid internships in Science, Engineering and Technology at BNL. Because of the comprehensive nature of this program, many of the participants have felt it has had an enormous influence on their careers. Students work with scientists or engineers on projects related to the laboratories' research programs. They also attend career planning and numerous training/informational sessions.
The CCI program at BNL will include features which have been the mainstay of our undergraduate programs since 1952.
• Students participate in a Technical Internship, which allows them to participate in one of BNL's ongoing scientific and technical projects.
• Students will participate in cutting-edge research or technology development, directed by a staff member of the BNL scientific community.
• The nature of the internship assignment will be determined after a review by BNL staff of the applicants' background and interests, relevant to the current scientific and technical activities at BNL.
• Students will have the chance to present their scientific or technical results both verbally and in writing, and may appear as a contributor to a scientific journal article or BNL report.
• Students will also participate in Educational Enhancement Activities, offering not only a specific scientific or technical experience, but an in-depth exposure to the scientific enterprise.
• Students will spend approximately 20% of their time in specific group or individual activities designed to promote career development.
Spring CCI: January 11 - April 29, 2016
Summer CCI: June 6 - August 11, 2016
Summer Intern Orientation: June 6, 2016
Summer Closing Ceremony: August 10 & 11, 2016
Full-Time Community College Undergraduates interested in a science realted field of study
As a major user facility, BNL attracts visiting scientists, university faculty, and students from all over the world. Like them, CCI students will be treated as full colleagues in their research groups, and full members of the BNL community - able, as time permits, to attend or take part in scientific seminars, visit major BNL research facilities, and interact casually with other undergraduates, graduate students, and technical staff, as well as their own research group.
The same general model, eligibility criteria, stipend, and application procedures apply to the programs at each laboratory.
Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists
P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000