International Services

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

International Services Homepage

Where Do I Apply for a Visitor Visa?

Applicants for visitor visas should generally apply at the American Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence. Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence.

What are the required documents?

Each applicant for a visitor visa must submit these forms and documentation, and submit fees as explained below:

  • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160.  The DS-160 form is submitted electronically to the Department of State. Consular Officers use the information entered on the DS-160 to process the visa application and, combined with a personal interview, determine an applicant’s eligibility for a nonimmigrant visa.
  •  A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States. If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must make an application;
  •  One (1) 2x2 photograph

What are the Required Fees?

  •  Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee - Each applicant for a visitor visa must pay a nonrefundable nonimmigrant visa application processing fee.
  •  Visa issuance fee – Additionally, if the visa is issued, there will be an additional visa issuance reciprocity fee, if applicable.

Is there Additional Documentation?

It is important that you refer to the Embassy Consular Section web site to determine visa processing timeframes and instructions, to learn about interview scheduling, and find out if there are any additional documentation items required

Applicants must demonstrate that they can be classifiable as visitors under U.S. law by:

  •  Providing evidence which shows the purpose of the trip, intent to depart the United States that arrangements are made to cover the costs of the trip. It is impossible to specify the exact form the documentation should take since applicants' circumstances vary greatly.
  •  Providing convincing evidence that an interested person will provide support if no other evidence of sufficient funding is available.
  •  Providing other documentation substantiating the trip's purpose and specifying the nature of binding obligations, such as family ties or employment, which would compel their return abroad.

How do I apply for a U.S. Driver's License or State identification Card?

Driver's Licenses for Foreign Nationals.pdf


Last Modified: February 12, 2014
Please forward all questions about this site to:

DOE, Office of Science One of ten national laboratories overseen and primarily funded by the Office of Science of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), Brookhaven National Laboratory conducts research in the physical, biomedical, and environmental sciences, as well as in energy technologies and national security. Brookhaven Lab also builds and operates major scientific facilities available to university, industry and government researchers. Brookhaven is operated and managed for DOE's Office of Science by Brookhaven Science Associates, a limited-liability company founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, the largest academic user of Laboratory facilities, and Battelle, a nonprofit, applied science and technology organization.

Privacy and Security Notice  | Contact Web Services for help