- Long Island Solar Farm
- Org Chart
Energy Systems Division
Renewables and Grid Analysis
New York Center for Grid Innovation
Brookhaven Lab is pursuing the development of a new facility that will enable the research needed to help New York State meet its energy goals.
- New York CGI will be a new facility that provides all the research capabilities needed to enable New York’s energy goals
- Strong focus on understanding the new grid dynamic distribution system challenges
- Provide a venue for collaborative research to address the challenges in meeting NYS energy goals
- Develop, test, and apply new and evolving technologies for grid operation
- Help position New York State as a global center for electric grid research and innovation.
- Provide training for new workforce opportunities
- Minimize utility business risk by testing and validating advanced technologies and new business models prior to deployment.
Proposed Location on the BNL campus in Discovery Park
- Centered at Brookhaven National Laboratory in collaboration with Stony Brook (AERTC), National Offshore Wind Research and Technology Center, community colleges, and other stakeholders
- Brookhaven is a portal to the U.S. National Laboratory System and a federal enclave with research capability and flexibility
- Proximity to the immediate challenge of integrating offshore wind
- Home to a 32-MW solar installation for observation performance data, and a 1.0-MW off-grid solar testing facility
- Proximity to major transmission infrastructure, space to demonstrate grid-level energy storage
Brookhaven Capabilities can be leveraged for NY-CGI
- High Performance Computing, World-class computing facilities
- Big Data Handling, Brookhaven handles “Big Data” from Large Hadron Collider
- Long Island Solar Farm, Performance data from 32MW grid-connected solar facility
- Northeast Solar Energy Research Center, a 1MW solar test facility with energy storage, power electronics equipment texting capabilities
- Brookhaven campus as a microgrid test bed including microgrid control schemes, advanced grid sensors, and energy storage demonstration
- Distribution system control room
- Data and simulation support
- Separate DER management and scenario evaluation rooms.
Partnership currently includes:
- New York Power Authority, Long Island Power Authority, Con Edison, National Grid, PSEG
- New York State Energy Research and Development Authority,
- Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Stony Brook University