- Department Groups
- Student Opportunities
- Org Chart
Detector Systems R&D and Applications
The Detector Systems R&D and Applications Group provides technical assistance to the Department of Homeland Security, particularly its Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction Office (CWMD), and the Department of Energy’s National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA).
Activities and Programs
- Participation in equipment and instrumentation testing campaigns conducted by the CWMD Test and Evaluation Directorate (T&E) and the NNSA Office of Nuclear Smuggling Detection and Deterrence (NSDD). Participation includes test planning, test execution, data validation and verification (V&V), data analysis, and report reviews
- Development of software and data analysis tools incorporating machine learning and artificial intelligence elements for international nuclear safeguards and nuclear security surveillance systems.
- Preservation of nuclear verification capabilities within the DOE network for the National Nuclear Security Administration’s Office of Nuclear Compliance Verification
- Development of nuclear forensic methods using synchrotron radiation at NSLS-II
- Development of radiation detection instrumentation for applications in nuclear nonproliferation, nuclear safeguards, as well as other applications such as medical diagnostics
- Matrix support to: NN department programs: Radiological Assistance program, APEX Inspector training, NNSS training; Instrumentation Division detector materials development initiatives; and Facility and Operations Laboratory Protection Division Classification Office.