Associate Laboratory Director (ALD) for Nuclear and Particle Physics (NPP)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is inviting applications for the position of Associate Laboratory Director for Nuclear and Particle Physics.
Brookhaven is one of the leading government research centers in the United States. Established in 1947 in Upton, New York, Brookhaven is a multi-program national laboratory operated by Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) for the US Department of Energy (DOE). Work at the lab has had impacts in fields ranging from physics and materials to biology and medicine and been recognized by seven Nobel Prizes. Brookhaven is home to one of the world’s largest existing particle accelerators, the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC), and has recently been chosen as the future site of the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC). The Lab also hosts the brightest x-ray synchrotron in the world.
The next ten years will be a very exciting time at Brookhaven across all its major program areas, including nuclear and particle physics; energy, biological and environmental science; data science; accelerator science; and national security.
The ALD for NPP, in particular, will have the opportunity to chart the Laboratory’s future science directions in nuclear and high energy physics during the transition from RHIC to an EIC—all within the context of the upcoming Snowmass conference on the future of particle physics. Some of the major responsibilities include:
- Setting strategy and delivering performance in developing, communicating and overseeing execution of the Laboratory’s vision for nuclear and particle physics.
- Building collaborations and partnerships, e.g., in representing the NPP program to agency sponsors (principally the U.S. Department of Energy), to BSA, to the local DOE site office and to other interested parties, including the general public.
- Developing people and culture by providing inspirational and strategic leadership for the science programs’ continued growth, impact and maturity; attracting and retaining top talent; and taking proactive steps to increase inclusion, diversity and equity
- Assuring operational excellence, including overseeing the environment, safety and health performance of the NPP directorate to assure compliance with DOE and New York State laws and regulations, as well as applicable BNL policies and procedures.
Altogether, Brookhaven has a staff of more than 2,500 scientists, engineers, technicians, and support, and hosts more than 5,000 guests and users annually. Last year’s budget was about $700 M. The NPP directorate consists of over 700 staff with a budget of about $300 M.
Qualifications for this position include:
- A Ph.D. in Physics 15+ years of experience in high performing Nuclear or Particle Physics organizations and/or facilities to conduct experiments, including 10+ years’ experience in leadership and management roles
- A successful track record of experience in a large, complex, and
matrixed research and development enterprise, including, but not
limited to: US Department of Energy and the Office of Science
Other Physics research organizations;
Academia—with a preference for individuals who understand the DOE mission and budget formulation process
- An internationally recognized record of achievement in Nuclear or Particle Physics
Applications may be submitted at the BNL Career site, Job ID #2296. Please include a CV and a list of five references with your application. Application review will begin in September. The ideal start time is January 1, 2021 or soon after.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor