This summer course is designed to give students a sound understanding of the framework created by the international community to address the threats of nuclear proliferation and nuclear terrorism. The focus is on the central element of this regime, the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and its verification mechanism, the IAEA safeguards system.
The course presents students with critical assessments of current nonproliferation issues, confronts them with the hard choices needed to address them, and provides in-depth analysis of the technical and legal framework needed to assess policy options. Exercises and demonstrations introduce students to the techniques and technologies of international safeguards and the challenges faced by international inspectors in the field. Above all, the course aims to give participants the knowledge, analytic tools, and the motivation to contribute to the improvement of the nonproliferation regime.
Course Topical Areas
- Nuclear Fuel Cycle
- Nuclear Weapons
- Nuclear Safety
- Nuclear Security
- Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT)
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- Nuclear Nonproliferation Successes and Failures
- IAEA Safeguards: Concepts and Implementation Examples
- IAEA Safeguards Complementary Access Exercise
- IAEA Safeguards Inventory Demonstration
- Authorities of the IAEA
- Strengthened IAEA Safeguards: Concepts and Implementation Examples
- Demonstration and Exercise on Detecting Radioactive Materials
- Other WMD Issues
Detailed course schedule for 2021 will be available soon. To be eligible to participate, applicants must be 18 years or older as of July 5, 2021, and must be in or entering graduate school, have recently completed graduate school, or be currently employed in a relevant field.
- Course instructors to be announced.
- A stipend up to $1000 is available based on a demonstration of need.
- There is no cost to participants to attend this course.
Join the Course Remotely
The Zoom connection information will be provided to you prior to the start of the event. Please do not give out this connection information. It is only for registered attendees.
|January 12, 2020||Application submission opens|
|March 8, 2021||Application submission closes|
|March 10, 2021||Submission deadline for letter of recommendation|
|March 26, 2021||Notification of acceptance (by e-mail)|