About the Radiological Control Division
Maintaining and protecting the radiological safety and health of BNL employees, the public and the environment is our mission. Our professionals and technicians are certified and provide expertise in field deployed Facility Support personnel, an accredited Personnel Monitoring service, a fully functional Instrumentation & Calibration facility, expertise in Radiological Engineering and the handling of Isotopes and Special Materials.
Radiological Controls Division (RCD) provides technical assistance, regulatory interpretation, coverage for radiological operations, radiological engineering, internal/external dosimetry services, instrumentation services, and on- and off-site radiological emergency response.
- Facility Support –
John Aloi, (631) 344-5212
Provides field support for the implementation of ES&H program by departments and divisions. Includes professionals and technicians deployed into the department’s facilities who provide job coverage, experimental and design reviews, job planning, and Radiological Work Permit (RWP) preparation. Can serve as the first point of contact for ES&H issues.
- Health Physics Technical Support – Charles Schaefer,
Provides a range of services that include but not limited to: Safety reviews, regulatory compliance, programmatic improvement, area radiation monitoring, and lessons learned implementation.
- Instrumentation and Calibration – Gregory Condemi, (631) 344-4098
Maintains site radiation protection instruments; provides radiological measurement engineering support; Designs and fabricates special monitoring applications; Facility Instrumentation Systems Design Reviews; Mechanical/electronic repair services available for nonradiological BNL equipment.
- Nuclear Materials Management – Rich Ohlsen, (631) 344-7316
Provide Laboratory-wide oversight, guidance, service, and technical support for:
- The Safeguards and Security program for Nuclear Material Control and Accountability including procurement, use, storage, transfer, and authorization for disposal of nuclear materials integrated with the Laboratory Protection Division’s Physical Protection Program;
- The Institutional Facilities Authorization Basis Program including Facility Hazard Categorization; and Nuclear/Criticality Safety Support.
- Personnel Monitoring – Benny Hooda, (631) 344-8107
Provides internal (whole-body counting and urine assay for non-gamma-emitting radionuclides) and external (Type A and B badges, rings, environmental monitoring, and area monitoring badges) dosimetry services. Fully accredited by the DOE.
- Radiological Engineering – Charles Schaefer, (631) 344-4728
Provide radiological engineering support and oversight in the areas of facility design review, radiological shielding, accelerator safety implementation, and optimization methods. Provide oversight to the Lab's Sealed Radioactive Source and Radiation Generating Device Programs.
Nate Foster, Division Manager