Scientist, Applied Math, Computational Science Initiative
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Computational Science Initiative
P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
Dr. Byung-Jun Yoon received the B.S.E. (summa cum laude) degree from the Seoul National University (SNU), Seoul, Korea, in 1998, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Pasadena, CA, in 2002 and 2007, respectively, all in Electrical Engineering. Since 2008, he has been with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA, where he is currently an Associate Professor. Dr. Yoon holds a joint appointment at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY, where he is a Scientist in Computational Science Initiative (CSI). He received the National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award, the Best Paper Award at the 9th Asia Pacific Bioinformatics Conference (APBC), the Best Paper Award at the 12th Annual MCBIOS Conference, and the SLATE Teaching Excellence Award from the Texas A&M University System. Dr. Yoon’s main theoretical interests lie in Scientific AI/ML, optimal experimental design (OED), and objective-based uncertainty quantification. He is actively working on the development of these methods and their application to various scientific domains, including computational biology and materials science.
- Optimal experimental design (OED)
- Objective-based uncertainty quantification
- Scientific AI/ML
- Computational network biology & bioinformatics
- Ph.D., California Institute of Technology, Electrical Engineering, 2007.
- M.S., California Institute of Technology, Electrical Engineering, 2002.
- B.S., Seoul National University, Electrical Engineering, 1998.
- 2018 - present: Scientist, Computational Science Initiative, Brookhaven National Laboratory (by Joint Appointment)
- 2014 - present: Associate Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Texas A&M University
- 2008 - 2014: Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Texas A&M University
- Yoon B-J, Qian X, Dougherty ER (2021) Quantifying the Multi-Objective Cost of Uncertainty. IEEE Access 9:80351–80359. doi: 10.1109/access.2021.3085486
- Hong Y, Kwon B, Yoon B-J (2021) Optimal Experimental Design for Uncertain Systems Based on Coupled Differential Equations. IEEE Access 9:53804–53810. doi: 10.1109/access.2021.3071038
- Zhao G, Qian X, Yoon B-J, Alexander FJ, Dougherty ER (2020) Model-Based Robust Filtering and Experimental Design for Stochastic Differential Equation Systems. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 68:3849–3859. doi: 10.1109/tsp.2020.3001384
- Woo H-M, Yoon B-J (2020) MONACO: accurate biological network alignment through optimal neighborhood matching between focal nodes. Bioinformatics 37:1401–1410. doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btaa962
- Chen C-C, Jeong H, Qian X, Yoon B-J (2019) TOPAS: network-based structural alignment of RNA sequences. Bioinformatics 35:2941–2948. doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btz001
- Chen C-C, Qian X, Yoon B-J (2018) RNAdetect: efficient computational detection of novel non-coding RNAs. Bioinformatics 35:1133–1141. doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/bty765
- Dehghannasiri R, Yoon B-J, Dougherty ER (2015) Efficient experimental design for uncertainty reduction in gene regulatory networks. BMC Bioinformatics. doi: 10.1186/1471-2105-16-s13-s2
- Broumand A, Esfahani MS, Yoon B-J, Dougherty ER (2015) Discrete optimal Bayesian classification with error-conditioned sequential sampling. Pattern Recognition 48:3766–3782. doi: 10.1016/j.patcog.2015.03.023
- Dehghannasiri R, Byung-Jun Yoon, Dougherty ER (2015) Optimal Experimental Design for Gene Regulatory Networks in the Presence of Uncertainty. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics 12:938–950. doi: 10.1109/tcbb.2014.2377733
- Yoon B-J, Qian X, Dougherty ER (2013) Quantifying the Objective Cost of Uncertainty in Complex Dynamical Systems. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 61:2256–2266. doi: 10.1109/tsp.2013.2251336
- Sahraeian SME, Yoon B-J (2013) SMETANA: Accurate and Scalable Algorithm for Probabilistic Alignment of Large-Scale Biological Networks. PLoS ONE 8:e67995. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0067995
- Yoon B-J, Qian X, Sahraeian SME (2012) Comparative Analysis of Biological Networks: Hidden Markov model and Markov chain-based approach. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine 29:22–34. doi: 10.1109/msp.2011.942819
- Su J, Yoon B-J, Dougherty ER (2009) Accurate and Reliable Cancer Classification Based on Probabilistic Inference of Pathway Activity. PLoS ONE 4:e8161. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0008161
- 2015: Best Paper Award, 12th Annual MCBIOS Conference.
- 2012: Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award. National Science Foundation (NSF), USA.
- 2011: Best Paper Award, 9th Asia Pacific Bioinformatics Conference (APBC).
- 2009: Student Led Award for Teaching Excellence (SLATE), Texas A&M University System, College Station, TX, USA.
- 2004: Microsoft Research Ph.D. Fellowship, Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA, USA.
- 2001: Killgore Fellowship, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, USA.
- 2001: Doctoral Scholarship, Korea Foundation for Advanced Studies (KFAS), Seoul, Korea