- Nuclear & Particle Physics
- Isotope Research & Production
- RIKEN BNL Research Center
CSX Lead Beamline Scientist, Soft X-ray Scattering & Spectroscopy Program, National Synchrotron Light Source II
Brookhaven National Laboratory
National Synchrotron Light Source II
Bldg. 741, Room 102
P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
After his PhD thesis in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and Muon Spin Resonance on orbitally ordered compounds at the University of Parma, Claudio moved to X-rays science at the European Synchrotron Radiation Source (ESRF) in Grenoble.
There he worked at the magnetic scattering beamline (ID20) acquiring specific experience on Resonant X-ray Diffraction (RXD).
Claudio performed experiments in X-ray diffraction and absorption at the major synchrotron sources around the World, complementing his scientific activity with neutron experiments on both powders and single crystals.
Once back to the Italian university, he complemented diffraction investigation of strongly correlated systems with X-ray spectroscopy, mainly by RIXS (Resonant Inelastic X-ray Scattering) in the soft energy regime.
Claudio moved to NSLS-II at the end of 2014, as a beamline scientist on 23-ID-1, CSX (Coherent Soft X-ray scattering).
Currently, he is the Lead Beamline Scientists of CSX.
Strongly correlated electron systems
Magnetism and magnetic frustration
Low dimensionality and confined electronic properties
X-ray scattering, elastic, resonant, magnetic
Coherence, polarization, tensorial scattering
Investigation of strongly correlated, magnetic materials, both in bulk (single crystals) and nanoscopic (thin films, heterostructures, nanodroplets) engineered samples: multifunctional (multiferroics, magnetoelectric), frustrated, and high temperature superconductors by X-ray and neutron diffraction, X-ray spectroscopies.
Piezoelectricity, quantum paraelectricity and electronic orderings, their phase transitions, inhomogeneities, and collective dynamics.
- Ph.D. 2004: Physics, Universita' di Parma, Parma, IT
- M.S. 2000: Physics, Universita' di Parma, Parma, IT
Assistant professor 10/2010 - 07/2014
Dep. of Experimental Physics, Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy
ESRF User Organization Committee, deputy member for the Electronic Structure & Magnetism community, 2012-2014
Invited professor 02-08/2009
Université Henri Poincaré, Nancy, France
Post-doc and Scientist 02/2004 - 09/2010
Electronic Structure and Magnetism Group, European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, Grenoble, France
- Mazzoli C, Wilkins SB, Di Matteo S, Detlefs B, Detlefs C, Scagnoli V, Paolasini L, Ghigna P (2007) Disentangling multipole resonances through a full x-ray polarization analysis. Physical Review B. doi: 10.1103/physrevb.76.195118
- Agrestini S, Mazzoli C, Bombardi A, Lees MR (2008) Incommensurate magnetic ground state revealed by resonant x-ray scattering in the frustrated spin systemCa3Co2O6. Physical Review B. doi: 10.1103/physrevb.77.140403
- Johnson RD, Bland SR, Mazzoli C, Beale TAW, Du C-H, Detlefs C, Wilkins SB, Hatton PD (2008) Determination of magnetic order of the rare-earth ions in multiferroicTbMn2O5. Physical Review B. doi: 10.1103/physrevb.78.104407
- Agrestini S, Chapon LC, Daoud-Aladine A, Schefer J, Gukasov A, Mazzoli C, Lees MR, Petrenko OA (2008) Nature of the Magnetic Order inCa3Co2O6. Physical Review Letters. doi: 10.1103/physrevlett.101.097207
- Scagnoli V, Mazzoli C, Detlefs C, Bernard P, Fondacaro A, Paolasini L, Fabrizi F, de Bergevin F (2009) Linear polarization scans for resonant X-ray diffraction with a double-phase-plate configuration. Journal of Synchrotron Radiation 16:778–787. doi: 10.1107/s0909049509035006
- Agrestini S, Fleck CL, Chapon LC, Mazzoli C, Bombardi A, Lees MR, Petrenko OA (2011) Slow Magnetic Order-Order Transition in the Spin Chain AntiferromagnetCa3Co2O6. Physical Review Letters. doi: 10.1103/physrevlett.106.197204
- Detlefs C, Sanchez del Rio M, Mazzoli C (2012) X-ray polarization: General formalism and polarization analysis. The European Physical Journal Special Topics 208:359–371. doi: 10.1140/epjst/e2012-01630-3
- Ghiringhelli G, Le Tacon M, Minola M, Blanco-Canosa S, Mazzoli C, Brookes NB, De Luca GM, Frano A, Hawthorn DG, He F, Loew T, Sala MM, Peets DC, Salluzzo M, Schierle E, Sutarto R, Sawatzky GA, Weschke E, Keimer B, Braicovich L (2012) Long-Range Incommensurate Charge Fluctuations in (Y,Nd)Ba2Cu3O6+x. Science 337:821–825. doi: 10.1126/science.1223532
- Chen XM, Thampy V, Mazzoli C, Barbour AM, Miao H, Gu GD, Cao Y, Tranquada JM, Dean MPM, Wilkins SB (2016) Remarkable Stability of Charge Density Wave Order inLa1.875Ba0.125CuO4. Physical Review Letters. doi: 10.1103/physrevlett.117.167001
- Kim MG, Miao H, Gao B, Cheong S-W, Mazzoli C, Barbour A, Hu W, Wilkins SB, Robinson IK, Dean MPM, Kiryukhin V (2018) Imaging antiferromagnetic antiphase domain boundaries using magnetic Bragg diffraction phase contrast. Nature Communications. doi: 10.1038/s41467-018-07350-3
- Chen XM, Mazzoli C, Cao Y, Thampy V, Barbour AM, Hu W, Lu M, Assefa TA, Miao H, Fabbris G, Gu GD, Tranquada JM, Dean MPM, Wilkins SB, Robinson IK (2019) Charge density wave memory in a cuprate superconductor. Nature Communications. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-09433-1
- Li J, Pelliciari J, Mazzoli C, Catalano S, Simmons F, Sadowski JT, Levitan A, Gibert M, Carlson E, Triscone J-M, Wilkins S, Comin R (2019) Scale-invariant magnetic textures in the strongly correlated oxide NdNiO3. Nature Communications. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-12502-0
? understanding of electronic mechanisms in some manganites multiferroics and magnetoelectrics;
? discovery of new phases and electronic couplings in frustrated low dimensional magnets (partially disordered anti-ferromagnetic structures);
? first observation of charge density wave (CDW) phases and its relation with superconductivity in series of cuprate high temperature superconductors;
? development of new complementary techniques for resonant experiments, relying on full polarization control on tensorial scattering, particularly useful in demanding sample environments and micro domain samples;
? high electric field setup for in-operando investigation of piezoelectric materials and quantum paraelectrics by X-ray diffraction.
2018 LDRD Strategic, on Dense Josephson Junctions arrays for future QIS devices
2019 Ashkenazi International Price