- Nuclear & Particle Physics
- Isotope Research & Production
- RIKEN BNL Research Center
Chair, Chemistry Division
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Bldg. 555, Room 200c
P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
Chemistry for (renewable) energy applications
- 2022: Session Chair, Organometallic Chemistry Research Gordon Conference
- 2022: Member, Career Panel, Organometallic Chemistry Research Graduate Research Symposium
- 2021: Chair, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) Fellows Prize Committee
- 2021: Co-Organizer, symposium entitled “Catalytic Addition and Removal of Hydrogen for Upgrading Oxidized Bio-Related and Renewable Compounds”, International Chemical Congress of Pacific Basin Societies (Pacifichem), Honolulu, HI.
- 2020, 2021: Chair, LDRD Panel, Chemistry Exploratory Research Category, LANL
- 2019: Invited Reviewer, University of Strasbourg Institute for Advanced Study
- 2019: Member, Postdoc Distinguished Performance Award Committee, LANL
- 2017: Chair, Organometallic Chemistry Gordon Research Conference, Salve Regina University, Newport, RI
- 2017: Session Chair, ACS Award Symposium, (Dr. David L. Clark, recipient), 253rd ACS National Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- 2016: Vice Chair, Organometallic Chemistry Gordon Research Conference, Salve Regina University, Newport, RI
- 2015: Organizer, symposium entitled “Homogeneous Catalysis Methodologies for the Upgrading of Biomass Derived Molecules”; held during the International Chemical Congress of Pacific Basin Societies (Pacifichem) in Honolulu, HI.
- 2014: Session Moderator, 2nd International Symposium on Energy Challenges and Mechanics, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK.
- 2011: Symposium Organizer; “Recycling Carbon: Catalyzed Conversion of Non-Food Biomass to Fuels & Chemicals” (I&EC Division, primary sponsor); held during the 242nd ACS National Meeting, Denver, USA)
- 2011: Organizer, LANSCE neutron scattering summer school, LANL
- 2005: Organizer, DOE Office of Basic Energy Sciences Catalysis and Chemical Transformations Contractors’ Meeting
- 2004: Organizer, DOE Office of Basic Energy Sciences Catalysis and Chemical Transformations Contractors’ Meeting
- 2003: Session Chair, Inorganic Chemistry Gordon Research Conference
1992-1995: Postdoctoral Research Associate (Drs. David Clark and John Watkin,), CST-Division, LANL
1990-1992: Postdoctoral Research Associate (Prof. Rinaldo Poli), University of Maryland, College Park, MD
1990: Ph.D. in Chemistry (with Prof. Michael J. Chetcuti), University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
1985: B.Sc. (Hons) in Chemistry, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
- Sharma S, Andrade G A, Maurya S, et al (2021) Iron-iminopyridine complexes as charge carriers for non-aqueous redox flow battery applications. Energy Storage Materials 37:576–586. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ensm.2021.01.035
- Batrice R J, Gordon J C (2021) Powering the next industrial revolution: transitioning from nonrenewable energy to solar fuels via CO2 reduction. RSC Advances 11:87–113. https://doi.org/10.1039/d0ra07790a
- M. A. Santiago Cordoba, J. S. Spendelow, A. N. G. Parra-Vasquez, L. A. Kuettner, P. M. Welch, C. E. Hamilton, J. A. Oertel, J. G. Duque, E. J. Meierdierks, T. A. Semelsberger, J. C. Gordon, M. N. Lee "Ultralight Carbon Aerogels from Co-continuous Emulsions", Adv. Funct. Mater. 2020, 30, 1908383 https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201908383. Featured as a back cover article.
- Dub, P A, Gordon, J C The role of the metal-bound N–H functionality in Noyori-type molecular catalysts. Nat Rev Chem 2018, 2, 396–408 https://doi.org/10.1038/s41570-018-0049-z. Featured as the cover article.
- Dub P A, Scott B L, Gordon J C (2017) Why Does Alkylation of the N–H Functionality within M/NH Bifunctional Noyori-Type Catalysts Lead to Turnover? Journal of the American Chemical Society 139:1245–1260. https://doi.org/10.1021/jacs.6b11666
- Sutton A D, Kim J K, Wu R, et al (2016) The Conversion of Starch and Sugars into Branched C10 and C11 Hydrocarbons. ChemSusChem 9:2298–2300. https://doi.org/10.1002/cssc.201600669 - featured as front cover article.
- Dub P A, Scott B L, Gordon J C (2015) Air-Stable NNS (ENENES) Ligands and Their Well-Defined Ruthenium and Iridium Complexes for Molecular Catalysis. Organometallics 34:4464–4479. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.organomet.5b00432
- V. K. Do, L. Zhang, A. J. Chavez, N. Alfonso, P. A. Dub, R. P. Currier, J. C. Gordon, T. J. Williams "Pressurized Formic Acid Dehydrogenation: An Entropic Spring Replaces Hydrogen Compression Cost," Catal. Sci. Technol., 2022, 12, 7182. https://doi.org/10.1039/D2CY00676F
- Sutton A D, Burrell A K, Dixon D A, et al (2011) Regeneration of Ammonia Borane Spent Fuel by Direct Reaction with Hydrazine and Liquid Ammonia. Science 331:1426–1429. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1199003.
- Davis B L, Dixon D A, Garner E B, et al (2009) Efficient Regeneration of Partially Spent Ammonia Borane Fuel. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 48:6812–6816. https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.200900680 - Highlighted as Frontispiece Cover Picture article.
Service to Journals/Funding Agencies:
- Currently: Member, Advisory Board, Energy Advances (RSC)
- Currently: Associate Editor, Frontiers in Chemistry (Inorganic Chemistry)
- 2019: National Laboratory Observer, DOE Office of Basic Energy Sciences Polymer Upcycling Roundtable
- 2018-2019: Guest Editor, Special Issue, Inorganics, entitled "First Row Transition Metal Complexes”
- Currently: Member, Editorial Board, Inorganics
- Currently: Member, International Advisory Board, European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry (EurJIC)
- 2011-2014: Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Inorganic Chemistry
- 2013: Guest Editor, Special Forum Issue, Inorganic Chemistry, entitled "Aspects of Inorganic Chemistry Related to Nuclear Energy" (2013, 52, Issue 7).
- Proposal reviewer; National Science Foundation, DOE Office of Basic Energy Sciences, Petroleum Research Fund, The Leverhulme Trust (UK),University of Strasbourg Institute for Advanced Study
- Manuscript reviewer for ACS journals; Inorganic Chemistry, Organometallics, J. Am. Chem. Soc., I&E Chemistry Research, Chemistry of Materials, ACS Catalysis, ChemCatChem
- Manuscript reviewer for RSC journals; Chemical Communications, Dalton Transactions, Energy & Environmental Science, Chemical Science, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics.
- Manuscript reviewer for other international journals; Science, Chemistry-A European Journal, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., Catalysis Letters, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, International Journal of Energy Research, PNAS (National Academy of Sciences), Comments on Inorganic Chemistry, Nature Communications
2022: Recipient, US Department of Energy's Hydrogen Program R&D Award
2017: Invited Fellow, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
2015: Fellow, American Institute of Chemists (AIC)
2014: Laboratory Fellow, LANL
2014: Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
2011: Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
2011: Fellows Prize, LANL
2010: Exceptional Mentor Award (Los Alamos Award Program), Chemistry, Life and Earth Sciences Directorate, LANL