Deputy Director for Science, NSLS-II, NSLS-II Management, National Synchrotron Light Source II
As the Deputy Director for Science of the National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II), and a Senior Physicist at Brookhaven National Laboratory, Qun oversees the development and strategic planning of the scientific programs at NSLS-II, including interactions with the broad scientific user community, development of high-level user access policies and user community partnerships, as well as spearheading the annual NSLS-II strategic plan process.
From 2008 to 2013, Qun served as the NSLS-II Experimental Facilities Director and a member of the executive leadership team during the construction phase of NSLS-II, and was responsible for development of all aspects of experimental programs in the NSLS-II Project.
Before joining BNL, Qun was Head of the X-ray Microscopy and Imaging Group at the Advanced Photon Source in Argonne National Laboratory. He also held Adjunct Professorships in Materials Science & Engineering at Northwestern University and in Physics at Purdue University. Prior to Argonne, he was a Senior Staff Scientist and Head of the X-ray Optics Group at Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source, and held an Adjunct Associate Professor in Materials Science & Engineering at Cornell University.
Qun was a Scientific Member and Developer during the early stages of the Synchrotron Radiation Instrumentation Collaborative Access Team (SRI-CAT) at the APS, with the particular emphasis on X-ray physics of materials and polarization studies.
- Ph.D. 1987: Physics, Purdue University
- B.S. 1981: Physics, Peking University
- 2016 DOE Secretary’s Achievement Award, Department of Energy, for outstanding achievements for the NSLS-II Project
- 2013 Distinguished Asian American Award, New York State
- 2005 Fellow, American Physical Society
- 2004 Distinguished Alumnus Award, School of Science, Purdue University
- 1988 S.S. Sidhu Award, Pittsburgh Diffraction Society