Senior Chemist, Catalysis: Reactivity and Structure Group, Chemistry Division
Brookhaven National Laboratory
P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
Catalysis and surface science. Interaction and reaction of molecules with surfaces of metals, oxides, sulfides and carbides. Use of synchrotron-based techniques in surface and materials characterization (core and valence photoemission, x-ray absorption spectroscopy, x-ray diffraction). Modeling of surface reactions.
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Chemistry), Texas A&M Univ. 1989-1991 (advisor: D.W. Goodman)
Ph.D., Indiana University (Chemistry) 1988 (advisor: C.T. Campbell)
M.S., Simon Bolivar University (Chem. Eng.) 1985
M.S., Simon Bolivar University (Theoretical Chemistry) 1983
B.S., Simon Bolivar University (Chem. Eng.) 1982
B.S., Simon Bolivar University (Chemistry) 1981
Adjunct Professor, SUNY Stony Brook, 2005-present
Senior Chemist, BNL, 2002-present
Chemist with tenure, BNL, 1998-2002
Chemist, BNL, 1995-1998
Associate chemist, BNL, 1993-1995
Assistant chemist, BNL, 1991-1993
Research Associate, Texas A&M University, 1991
Research Assistant, Indiana University, 1986-1988
Supervisor of PhD students and postdoctoral fellows. Development of synchrotron equipment for catalysts characterization. Co-organizer of scientific conferences and science fairs. Editorial Board of Surface Science (2005-2011), the Royal Society of Chemistry Catalysis Series (2014-present) and the Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters (2019-present). Guest editor for special issues in Topics in Catalysis, Journal of Molecular Catalysis A and Surface Science. Frequent reviewer for journals in physical chemistry and catalysis.
- Rodriguez JA, Ma S, Liu P, Hrbek J, Evans J, Perez M (2007) Activity of CeOx and TiOx Nanoparticles Grown on Au(111) in the Water-Gas Shift Reaction. Science 318:1757–1760. doi: 10.1126/science.1150038
- Remediakis IN, Lopez N, Nørskov JK (2005) CO Oxidation on Rutile-Supported Au Nanoparticles. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 44:1824–1826. doi: 10.1002/anie.200461699
- Bruix A, Rodriguez JA, Ramírez PJ, Senanayake SD, Evans J, Park JB, Stacchiola D, Liu P, Hrbek J, Illas F (2012) A New Type of Strong Metal–Support Interaction and the Production of H2 through the Transformation of Water on Pt/CeO2(111) and Pt/CeOx/TiO2(110) Catalysts. Journal of the American Chemical Society 134:8968–8974. doi: 10.1021/ja302070k
- Graciani J, Mudiyanselage K, Xu F, Baber AE, Evans J, Senanayake SD, Stacchiola DJ, Liu P, Hrbek J, Sanz JF, Rodriguez JA (2014) Highly active copper-ceria and copper-ceria-titania catalysts for methanol synthesis from CO2. Science 345:546–550. doi: 10.1126/science.1253057
- Rodriguez JA, Liu P, Stacchiola DJ, Senanayake SD, White MG, Chen JG (2015) Hydrogenation of CO2 to Methanol: Importance of Metal–Oxide and Metal–Carbide Interfaces in the Activation of CO2. ACS Catalysis 5:6696–6706. doi: 10.1021/acscatal.5b01755
DOE Distinguished Scientist Award 2019
Science and Technology Award of Brookhaven National Laboratory, 2011
HENAAC Award for Technical Achievements, 2007
Graduate School Dissertation Year Fellowship,Indiana University, 1988-1989.
The Felix Haurowitz Award for outstanding perfomance as an advanced graduate student in chemistry. Indiana University, 1987-1988.
The Robert Chernin Award for outstanding achievement in first-year graduate research in chemistry. Indiana University, 1985-1986.
Honorable mention for outstanding achievement in research as a MS student in chemistry. Simon Bolivar University, 1983.