Computational Scientist, Data Science and Systems Integration Program, National Synchrotron Light Source II
Brookhaven National Laboratory
National Synchrotron Light Source II
P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
Preferred Gender Pronouns (PGPs): he, him, his
Stuart serves as both the Chief Data Scientist and Deputy Program Manager for the Data Science and Systems Integration (DSSI) program at the NSLS-II. The DSSI program responsible for research and development in data science and advanced instrumentation and operation of the critical underlying controls and data infrastructure of the NSLS-II.
The main focus of Stuart's career has been focused on how to best the apply the use of IT infrastructure and computational techniques at large scale experimental user facilities such as Neutron, Muon and Light Sources in order to help maximize their scientific impact. This has covered many areas from development of advanced data acquisition systems, data management and onto data reduction and analysis together with infrastucture design that is required to make it all possible.
A long term interest has been how to integrate complex simulations with experimental techniques,. This initially was driven by his interest in developing neutron scattering instrumentation which led him to work on realistic simulations ("Digital Twins") of virtual neutron scattering experiments that integrated simulations of the source, sample and beamline and later complex materials simulations such as DFT in order to help inform the data collection strategy and intelligent steering of the experiment and to help perform the data analysis and interpretation.
Stuart is a strong advocate in expanding the use of Open Source Software (OSS) together with Open Data and Open Science & Research. He has been involved in a number of cross facility and laboratory open source software projects, some examples of these are Bluesky (https://blueskyproject.io), Mantid (https://www.mantidproject.org), GDA (http://www.opengda.org) and OpenGENIE.
- Ph.D. in Physics, University of Salford, UK (1998). "Design of a high resolution time-of-flight crystal analyser spectrometer and hydrogen diffusion in intermetallic compounds", Supervisor: D.K. Ross
- B.Sc. (Hons) in Physics, University of Salford, UK (1994)
After completing his Ph.D. degree, Stuart started as a European Research Fellow at the ISIS Pulsed Neutron and Muon Facility which is situated at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, near Oxford in the United Kingdom. After his Post Doc, he became a member of Scientific Staff within the Scientific Computing Group at the ISIS Facility.
In 2004, Stuart joined Diamond Light Source as a member of scientific staff within the Data Acquisition and Scientific Computing Group.
Stuart joined Oak Ridge National Laboratory in 2008 as a Staff Scientist at the Spallation Neutron Source. In 2010, he was became the Lead for Inelastic Software and then in 2013 was appointed as the Team Leader for Data Analysis.
In 2017, Stuart moved to Brookhaven National Laboratory to take up the position as Computational Scientist and Group Leader for NSLS-II's Data Acquisition, Management and Analysis Group.
In 2021, Stuart was appointed as the Deputy Program Manager for the Data Science and Systems Integration Program and the Chief Data Scientist at the NSLS-II.
- Campbell SI, Allan DB, Barbour AM, Olds D, Rakitin MS, Smith R, Wilkins SB (2021) Outlook for artificial intelligence and machine learning at the NSLS-II. Machine Learning: Science and Technology 2:013001. doi: 10.1088/2632-2153/abbd4e
- Maffettone PM, Lynch JK, Caswell TA, Cook CE, Campbell SI, Olds D (2021) Gaming the beamlines—employing reinforcement learning to maximize scientific outcomes at large-scale user facilities. Machine Learning: Science and Technology 2:025025. doi: 10.1088/2632-2153/abc9fc
- Allan D, Caswell T, Campbell S, Rakitin M (2019) Bluesky's Ahead: A Multi-Facility Collaboration for an a la Carte Software Project for Data Acquisition and Management. Synchrotron Radiation News 32:19–22. doi: 10.1080/08940886.2019.1608121
- Pouchard L, Kleese van Dam K, Campbell SI (2019) Experimental Data Curation at Large Instrument Facilities with Open Source Software. International Journal of Digital Curation 14:114–125. doi: 10.2218/ijdc.v14i1.637
- Yang S, Ramirez-Cuesta AJ, Newby R, Garcia-Sakai V, Manuel P, Callear SK, Campbell SI, Tang CC, Schröder M (2014) Supramolecular binding and separation of hydrocarbons within a functionalized porous metal–organic framework. Nature Chemistry 7:121–129. doi: 10.1038/nchem.2114
- Chen-Wiegart Y-CK, Waluyo I, Kiss A, Campbell S, Yang L, Dooryhee E, Trelewicz JR, Li Y, Gates B, Rivers M, Yager KG (2020) Multimodal Synchrotron Approach: Research Needs and Scientific Vision. Synchrotron Radiation News 33:44–47. doi: 10.1080/08940886.2020.1701380
- Könnecke M, Akeroyd FA, Bernstein HJ, Brewster AS, Campbell SI, Clausen B, Cottrell S, Hoffmann JU, Jemian PR, Männicke D, Osborn R, Peterson PF, Richter T, Suzuki J, Watts B, Wintersberger E, Wuttke J (2015) The NeXus data format. Journal of Applied Crystallography 48:301–305. doi: 10.1107/s1600576714027575
- Shipman G, Campbell S, Dillow D, Doucet M, Kohl J, Granroth G, Miller R, Stansberry D, Proffen T, Taylor R (2014) Accelerating Data Acquisition, Reduction, and Analysis at the Spallation Neutron Source. 2014 IEEE 10th International Conference on e-Science. doi: 10.1109/escience.2014.31
- Arnold O, Bilheux JC, Borreguero JM, Buts A, Campbell SI, Chapon L, Doucet M, Draper N, Ferraz Leal R, Gigg MA, Lynch VE, Markvardsen A, Mikkelson DJ, Mikkelson RL, Miller R, Palmen K, Parker P, Passos G, Perring TG, Peterson PF, Ren S, Reuter MA, Savici AT, Taylor JW, Taylor RJ, Tolchenov R, Zhou W, Zikovsky J (2014) Mantid—Data analysis and visualization package for neutron scattering and μ SR experiments. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 764:156–166. doi: 10.1016/j.nima.2014.07.029
- Peterson PF, Campbell SI, Reuter MA, Taylor RJ, Zikovsky J (2015) Event-based processing of neutron scattering data. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 803:24–28. doi: 10.1016/j.nima.2015.09.016
- Borreguero JM, Campbell SI, Delaire OA, Doucet M, Goswami M, Hagen ME, Lynch VE, Proffen TE, Ren S, Savici AT, Sumpter BG (2014) Integrating Advanced Materials Simulation Techniques into an Automated Data Analysis Workflow at the Spallation Neutron Source. TMS 2014: 143rd Annual Meeting & Exhibition 297–308. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-48237-8_39
Stuart Serves on the follow community organizations:
- NSLS-II Representative, Light Source Directors Data and Computing Steering Committee
- Chair, New Opportunities for Better User Group Software (NOBUGS) International Advisory Committee
- Technical Release Manager and NSLS-II Representative, NeXus International Advisory Committee