Manager, Web Services, Information Technology Division
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Information Technology Division
Bldg. 515, Room M1-64
P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
Gary is an online communications professional with more than 20 years experience in the fields of web design, content strategy, information architecture, and user experience. He is responsible for the design and management of www.bnl.gov, the online presence of Brookhaven National Laboratory, a United States Department of Energy research facility.
Gary specializes in managing teams that build unique websites where clean design, positive user experience, persuasiveness, and reputation are critical. His management responsibilities include site governance, development and implementation of content strategy, design of websites for organizational sub-units, visual design, information architecture, implementation of new online technologies, video services, push email newsletters, and content management systems. Gary is also responsible for the management of Brookhaven's employee intranet.
Online communications and website design including the following.
- Content strategy - the creation, delivery, and governance of useful, usable online content.
- Business analysis - review of processes, workflows, and services with the goal of streamlining them through the application of online tools.
- Information architecture (IA) - the practice of arranging information in an understandable, easily navigated structure.
- User Interface (UI) design - the unification of visual screen elements in support of task completion and aesthetics.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO), search appliance administration
- Electronic media visual design
- M.S., User Experience (UX) Design, Quinnipiac University, 2017
- M.S., Health Physics, University of Pittsburgh, Graduate School of Public Health, 1990
- B.S., Physics, Duquesne University, 1989
- Visualizing Information, IXC-5027, School of Visual Arts, NYC
Johns Hopkins University Genetics & Public Policy Center Communications Advisory Committee, 2005.
Faculty Award for Academic Excellence, Quinnipiac University, School of Communications, 2017.
Gary's infographic work has been featured in American Scientist, a science and technology magazine published by Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Honor Society.
- Ingenuity Mars Helicopter, American Scientist, November-December 2020, Volume 108 Number 6
- European Solar Orbiter, American Scientist, March-April 2020, Volume 108, Number 2
- The Edge of the Solar System, American Scientist, March-April 2019, Volume 107, Number 2
- Large Synoptic Survey Telescope, American Scientist, Sept-Oct 2018, Volume 106, Number 5
International Association of Business Communicators Gold Quill Award of Merit, Safety & Operational Excellence Campaign, 2014.
Distinguished, Best of Show Award for "Discover Brookhaven" online magazine, Society for Technical Communication, NY Metro Area, Online Category, 2004.