Program Manager, Data Science and Systems Integration Program, National Synchrotron Light Source II
Brookhaven National Laboratory
National Synchrotron Light Source II
Bldg. 741, Room 101
P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
Preferred Gender Pronouns (PGPs): he, him, his
Stuart serves as the Program Manager for the Data Science and Systems Integration (DSSI) program at the NSLS-II overseeing a program responsible for research and development in data science and advanced instrumentation and operation of the critical underlying controls and data infrastructure of the NSLS-II.
Throughout Stuart's career he has focused on both applying advanced x-ray scattering techniques to the study of condensed matter physics and the research, design and construction of light source instrumentation. In addition to Stuart's work on x-ray instrumentation he has developed scientific software for data acquisition and analysis. Stuart is a core developer of the EPICS areaDetector project and lead the early stages of the Bluesky development at the NSLS-II.
After graduating with a M.Sci. degree in physics from the University of Durham in 1999, Stuart undertook his thesis work in the X-ray Scattering group in the Physics Department of the University of Durham graduating with his Ph.D. in 2002
After graduating with a Master in Science in Physics, Stuart started as a Post Doc. in 2003 resident at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facilty (ESRF), while working for the European Commissions Joint Research Center (JRC). After his Post Doc., Stuart was a Staff Scientist at the ESRF.
Stuart joined Brookhaven National Laboratory in 2006 as an Assistant Scientist in the Condensed Matter Physics and Material Science Department. In 2013 he joined the NSLS-II initially as the Group Leader for the CSX beamline as was promoted to be the Program Manager for the Soft X-ray Scattering and Spectroscopy program in 2015.
In 2021, Stuart was appointed as the Program Manager for the Data Science and Systems Integration Program at the NSLS-II.
- Campbell S, Allan DB, Barbour A, Olds D, Rakitin M, Smith R, Wilkins SB (2020) Outlook for Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning at the NSLS-II. Machine Learning: Science and Technology. doi: 10.1088/2632-2153/abbd4e
- Chen XM, Mazzoli C, Cao Y, Thampy V, Barbour AM, Hu W, Lu M, Assefa TA, Miao H, Fabbris G, Gu GD, Tranquada JM, Dean MPM, Wilkins SB, Robinson IK (2019) Charge density wave memory in a cuprate superconductor. Nature Communications. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-09433-1
- He A, Chubar O, Dvorak J, Hu W, Hulbert S, Walter A, Wilkins S, Salort C (2020) Wave optics simulations for new soft x-ray beamlines at NSLS-II. Advances in Computational Methods for X-Ray Optics V. doi: 10.1117/12.2567423
- Tan AJ, Huang M, Avci CO, Büttner F, Mann M, Hu W, Mazzoli C, Wilkins S, Tuller HL, Beach GSD (2018) Magneto-ionic control of magnetism using a solid-state proton pump. Nature Materials 18:35–41. doi: 10.1038/s41563-018-0211-5
- Kim MG, Miao H, Gao B, Cheong S-W, Mazzoli C, Barbour A, Hu W, Wilkins SB, Robinson IK, Dean MPM, Kiryukhin V (2018) Imaging antiferromagnetic antiphase domain boundaries using magnetic Bragg diffraction phase contrast. Nature Communications. doi: 10.1038/s41467-018-07350-3
- Kukreja R, Hua N, Ruby J, Barbour A, Hu W, Mazzoli C, Wilkins S, Fullerton EE, Shpyrko OG (2018) Orbital Domain Dynamics in Magnetite below the Verwey Transition. Physical Review Letters. doi: 10.1103/physrevlett.121.177601
- Thampy V, Dean MPM, Christensen NB, Steinke L, Islam Z, Oda M, Ido M, Momono N, Wilkins SB, Hill JP (2014) Rotated stripe order and its competition with superconductivity inLa1.88Sr0.12CuO4. Physical Review B. doi: 10.1103/physrevb.90.100510
- Partzsch S, Wilkins SB, Hill JP, Schierle E, Weschke E, Souptel D, Büchner B, Geck J (2011) Observation of Electronic Ferroelectric Polarization in MultiferroicYMn2O5. Physical Review Letters. doi: 10.1103/physrevlett.107.057201
- Wilkins SB, Spencer PD, Hatton PD, Collins SP, Roper MD, Prabhakaran D, Boothroyd AT (2003) Direct Observation of Orbital Ordering inLa0.5Sr1.5MnO4Using Soft X-ray Diffraction. Physical Review Letters. doi: 10.1103/physrevlett.91.167205
- D.A. Wright Prize (University of Durham)
- ESRF Young Scientist Award.