- Nuclear & Particle Physics
- Isotope Research & Production
- RIKEN BNL Research Center
Staff Scientist, Interface Sciences and Catalysis Group, Center for Functional Nanomaterials
- Low-Energy Electron Microscopy (LEEM)
- X-ray Photoemission Electron Microscopy (XPEEM)
- Surface and interface science
- 2D van der Waals materials, thin films and heterostructures
- Elemental 2D materials – graphene and beyond
Our research is focused on utilizing the suite of spectro-microscopy tools and fabrication tools at CFN and NSLS-II.
We employ real-time in-situ microscopy/spectroscopy for the study of the dynamical phenomena at surfaces and interfaces, 2D materials growth and interface epitaxy.
With the partnership of CFN QPress (https://www.bnl.gov/qpress/), we utilize a robotic fabrication tool for automated synthesis of the heterostructures of layered 2D quantum materials/exotic 2.5D materials, specifically to elucidation of the crystalline structure, electronic, chemical, magnetic and novel quantum properties of 2D materials and their heterostructures.
- Master of Science/Master of Philosophy, Department of Physics, Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh.
- Doctor of Science, Department of Physics, Tohoku University, Japan.
- Courses: Quantum Materials Physics, Special Topics of Multiscale Natural Science.
- Research/Seminars: Surface Science.
- Thesis: STM/LEEM study of film growth of pentacene and pentacenequinone.
Associate Research Scientist, Department of Chemistry, Yale University, CT, USA.
Staff Scientist, Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology, Okinawa, Japan.
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Sate University of New York - Farmingdale State College, NY, USA.
Adjunct Assistant Professor: CUNY-Queensborough Community College, NY, USA.
Beamline Scientist, Spectromicroscopy, Elettra Sincrotrone-Trieste, Trieste, Italy.
Research Coordinator, Department of Physics, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK.
Research Associate, Brookhaven National Laboratory, New York, USA.
Assistant Professor, Institute for Materials Research & WPI-Advanced Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan.
Teaching Faculty, Department of Physics, Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology (Former BIT, Chittagong), Bangladesh.
- Karmakar A, Al-Mahboob A, Petoukhoff CE, et al (2022) Dominating Interlayer Resonant Energy Transfer in Type-II 2D Heterostructure. ACS Nano 16:3861–3869. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.1c08798
- Madéo J, Man MKL, Sahoo C, et al (2020) Directly visualizing the momentum-forbidden dark excitons and their dynamics in atomically thin semiconductors. Science 370:1199–1204. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aba1029
- Kandyba V, Al-Mahboob A, Giampietri A, et al (2018) Tuning electronic properties by oxidation-reduction reactions at graphene-ruthenium interfaces. Carbon 138:271–276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2018.06.014
- Al-Mahboob A, Sadowski JT (2016) Interface energetics in zinc phthalocyanine growth on Ag(100). Physical Review B 93:. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevb.93.085413
- Jin W, Yeh P-C, Zaki N, et al (2013) Direct Measurement of the Thickness-Dependent Electronic Band Structure ofUsing Angle-Resolved Photoemission Spectroscopy. Physical Review Letters 111:. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.111.106801