Director, National Synchrotron Light Source II & Deputy Associate Laboratory Director for Energy & Photon Sciences, National Synchrotron Light Source II
Brookhaven National Laboratory
National Synchrotron Light Source II
Bldg. 745, Room 129
P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
John Hill serves as the Director of the National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) and as the Deputy Associate Laboratory (ALD) Director for Energy & Photon Sciences. In his role as NSLS-II Director, he is responsible for all aspects of facility operations. As Deputy ALD for Energy & Photon Sciences, he assists Jim Misewich in strategic issues for the Energy & Photon Sciences Directorate with particular focus on synergies with NSLS-II.
John previously served as group leader of the x-ray scattering group in Brookhaven's Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science Department and is recognized as a world leader in applying x-ray scattering techniques to the study of condensed matter systems. In particular, he has focused on using resonant elastic scattering to study magnetic and electronic order in a range of materials. More recently, he has extended these studies by pioneering the use of inelastic x-ray scattering techniques to study electron dynamics in similar systems. His research is presently focused on understanding the novel electronic ground states and excitations in strongly correlated electron systems.
The study of cooperative electronic phenomena in condensed matter systems, including especially equilibrium and non-equilibrium dynamics in strongly coorelated electron systems. Development and use of x-ray magnetic and inelastic scattering techniques. John is the author of more than 120 articles in peer-reviewed journals.
- B.Sc. degree in physics, Imperial College London, UK
- Ph.D. in physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
John joined Brookhaven Lab’s Physics Department as a postdoc. He was promoted through the ranks, received tenure in 1999, and was appointed group leader of the X-ray Scattering Group in 2001.
John served on the NSLS Users Executive Committee from 1999 to 2001, and from 2001 to 2007. He was the Executive Director of IXS-CDT, a consortium that led the design, construction, and commissioning of an inelastic x-ray scattering beamline at the Advanced Photon Source.
From February 2006 to August 2008, he served as Experimental Facilities Division Director for the NSLS-II project, with responsibility for overseeing all aspects of the design, construction and commissioning of NSLS-II’s experimental facilities, a scope of work that included beamlines, the associated R&D programs and interactions with users.
- Först M, Tobey RI, Bromberger H, Wilkins SB, Khanna V, Caviglia AD, Chuang Y-D, Lee WS, Schlotter WF, Turner JJ, Minitti MP, Krupin O, Xu ZJ, Wen JS, Gu GD, Dhesi SS, Cavalleri A, Hill JP (2014) Melting of Charge Stripes in Vibrationally DrivenLa1.875Ba0.125CuO4: Assessing the Respective Roles of Electronic and Lattice Order in Frustrated Superconductors. Physical Review Letters. doi: 10.1103/physrevlett.112.157002
- Hogan T, Yamani Z, Walkup D, Chen X, Dally R, Ward TZ, Dean MPM, Hill J, Islam Z, Madhavan V, Wilson SD (2015) First-Order Melting of a Weak Spin-Orbit Mott Insulator into a Correlated Metal. Physical Review Letters. doi: 10.1103/physrevlett.114.257203
- Casandruc E, Nicoletti D, Rajasekaran S, Laplace Y, Khanna V, Gu GD, Hill JP, Cavalleri A (2015) Wavelength-dependent optical enhancement of superconducting interlayer coupling inLa1.885Ba0.115CuO4. Physical Review B. doi: 10.1103/physrevb.91.174502
- Dean MPM, Cao Y, Liu X, Wall S, Zhu D, Mankowsky R, Thampy V, Chen XM, Vale JG, Casa D, Kim J, Said AH, Juhas P, Alonso-Mori R, Glownia JM, Robert A, Robinson J, Sikorski M, Song S, Kozina M, Lemke H, Patthey L, Owada S, Katayama T, Yabashi M, Tanaka Y, Togashi T, Liu J, Rayan Serrao C, Kim BJ, Huber L, Chang C-L, McMorrow DF, Först M, Hill JP (2016) Ultrafast energy- and momentum-resolved dynamics of magnetic correlations in the photo-doped Mott insulator Sr2IrO4. Nature Materials 15:601–605. doi: 10.1038/nmat4641
- Öztürk H, Yan H, Hill JP, Noyan IC (2015) Correlating sampling and intensity statistics in nanoparticle diffraction experiments. Journal of Applied Crystallography 48:1212–1227. doi: 10.1107/s1600576715011747
John was awarded the Presidential Early Career Award and the DOE Young Independent Scientist Award in 1996, was elected a fellow of the APS in 2002, and received a Brookhaven Science and Technology Award in 2012.