Senior Applications Engineer, Web Services Group, Information Technology Division
John supports the Lab's strategic mission by translating business and technical requirements into well-engineered, tested, and deployed business or technical web-based applications. This includes the development and maintenance of information systems; interfacing with users and other developers to determine the most professional and efficient approach to meet requirements; developing solutions using a variety of technologies that may include new code construction or modifications to existing modules; and serving as a technical resource to the Lab's department- and division-level web administrators who build and maintain their respective organization's websites and web-based computer applications. He applies disciplined software development processes and leverages leading-edge technologies to engineer and implement automated solutions to business or technical problems.
Solid communication, user interface, graphic design, and coding skills; excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills and the ability to meet deadlines, juggle simultaneous tasks, and strong desire to keep skills current.
- Primarily responsible for maintaining and demonstrating expert understanding in the web-application development process to better serve as a resource to others at the Lab.
- Also responsible for serving as a technical resource for multiple programming languages and technologies, with knowledge of the capabilities and constraints of various technologies and programming languages and providing guidance to the Lab's IT community in the area of web application development, striving to "raise the bar" of technical expertise for the organization
- Understands, incorporates, and influences (when applicable) the current and future application and technology architecture and plans for the future development of echnology areas, evaluating the applicability of leading edge technologies
- Independently identifies, defines, directs, and performs analyses to resolve complex first-time project issues including the analysis of technical feasibility of proposed web-application solutions
- Designs web projects with broad implication for the business or technical areas and/or future architecture, successfully addressing cross-platform, cross-browser, and cross-device compatability issues
B.S., Biology (1998)
Stony Brook University
M.A., Government & Public Policy (2006)
Stony Brook University
- Brookhaven National Laboratory Spotlight Award - July 2017
- Brookhaven National Laboratory Spotlight Award - August 2015
- Brookhaven National Laboratory Spotlight Award - September 2011
- Brookhaven National Laboratory Spotlight Award - September 2010
- Brookhaven National Laboratory Spotlight Award - July 2010
- Brookhaven National Laboratory Spotlight Award - September 2008
- Brookhaven National Laboratory Spotlight Award - September 2007
- Brookhaven National Laboratory Spotlight Award - September 2006
- Brookhaven National Laboratory Spotlight Award - September 2005
- Society for Technical Communication (STC) Excellence Award - Technical Art Category, 2003