Environmental Science Associate III, Terrestrial Ecosystem Science & Technology Group, Environmental and Climate Sciences Department
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Environmental and Climate Sciences Department
P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
Preferred Gender Pronouns (PGPs): she, her, hers
With a background in Earth Sciences, Kim has a multidisciplinary approach to research that encompasses field work and a focus on high quality data management practices.
- Linkages between plant physiological traits and reflectance spectroscopy
- Measurement of plant biochemistry and photosynthetic parameters
- Data management, including development and implementation of reporting standards.
- Next Generation Ecosystem Experiments (NGEE) - Arctic
- Next Generation Ecosystem Experiments (NGEE) - Tropics
- The University of Melbourne, Australia, Ph.D.
- The University of Melbourne, Australia, B.S. (Honours)
Environmental Science Associate, Environmental and Climate Sciences Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, 2015 to present.
- Ely KS, Rogers A, Agarwal DA, Ainsworth EA, Albert LP, et al. (2021) A reporting format for leaf-level gas exchange data and metadata. Ecological Informatics 61:101232. doi: 10.1016/j.ecoinf.2021.101232
- Damerow JE, Varadharajan C, Boye K, Brodie EL, Burrus M, Chadwick KD, Crystal-Ornelas R, Elbashandy H, Alves RJE, Ely KS, Goldman AE, Haberman T, Hendrix V, Kakalia Z, Kemner KM, Kersting AB, Merino N, O'Brien F, Perzan Z, Robles E, Sorensen P, Stegen JC, Walls RL, Weisenhorn P, Zavarin M, Agarwal D (2021) Sample Identifiers and Metadata to Support Data Management and Reuse in Multidisciplinary Ecosystem Sciences. Data Science Journal 20:11. doi: 10.5334/dsj-2021-011
- Burnett AC, Serbin SP, Davidson KJ, Ely KS, Rogers A (2021) Detection of the Metabolic Response to Drought Stress Using Hyperspectral Reflectance. Journal of Experimental Botany. doi: 10.1093/jxb/erab255
- Ely KS, Burnett AC, Lieberman-Cribbin W, Serbin SP, Rogers A (2019) Spectroscopy can predict key leaf traits associated with source–sink balance and carbon–nitrogen status. Journal of Experimental Botany 70:1789–1799. doi: 10.1093/jxb/erz061
- Rogers A, Serbin SP, Ely KS, Wullschleger SD (2019) Terrestrial biosphere models may overestimate Arctic CO 2 assimilation if they do not account for decreased quantum yield and convexity at low temperature. New Phytologist 223:167–179. doi: 10.1111/nph.15750
- Wu J, Serbin SP, Ely KS, Wolfe BT, Dickman LT, Grossiord C, Michaletz ST, Collins AD, Detto M, McDowell NG, Wright SJ, Rogers A (2019) The response of stomatal conductance to seasonal drought in tropical forests. Global Change Biology 26:823–839. doi: 10.1111/gcb.14820
- Dickman LT, McDowell NG, Grossiord C, Collins AD, Wolfe BT, Detto M, Wright SJ, Medina-Vega JA, Goodsman D, Rogers A, Serbin SP, Wu J, Ely KS, Michaletz ST, Xu C, Kueppers L, Chambers JQ (2019) Homoeostatic maintenance of nonstructural carbohydrates during the 2015–2016 El Niño drought across a tropical forest precipitation gradient. Plant, Cell & Environment 42:1705–1714. doi: 10.1111/pce.13501
- Wu J, Rogers A, Albert LP, Ely K, Prohaska N, Wolfe BT, Oliveira RC, Saleska SR, Serbin SP (2019) Leaf reflectance spectroscopy captures variation in carboxylation capacity across species, canopy environment and leaf age in lowland moist tropical forests. New Phytologist 224:663–674. doi: 10.1111/nph.16029
- Rogers A, Serbin SP, Ely KS, Sloan VL, Wullschleger SD (2017) Terrestrial biosphere models underestimate photosynthetic capacity and CO 2 assimilation in the Arctic. New Phytologist 216:1090–1103. doi: 10.1111/nph.14740
- Lewin KF, McMahon AM, Ely KS, Serbin SP, Rogers A (2017) A zero-power warming chamber for investigating plant responses to rising temperature. Biogeosciences 14:4071–4083. doi: 10.5194/bg-14-4071-2017
- Member of the American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- Brookhaven National Laboratory Spotlight Award, August 2015