- Nuclear & Particle Physics
- Isotope Research & Production
- RIKEN BNL Research Center
Senior Scientist, Electronic Detector Group, Physics Department
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Bldg. 510, Room 3-165
P.O. Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000
Diwan's scientific interests span particle physics, analysis, and detector instrumentation. He has contributed to rare decays of kaons, the physics of the neutrino, and development of detectors.
He has made many innovations in particle physics experiments including important measurements in neutrino physics and rare kaon decays. He is known for development of advanced analysis, software, and hardware techniques. He is well known for organizing ambitious science and engineering projects with high efficiency.
He initiated, proposed, and organized the ambitious long-baseline neutrino program in the US based on the high intensity FNAL Main Injector broad band beam and a massive underground detector at the Sanford Underground Research Facility. He first demonstrated that this project was both scientifically valuable and feasible. The plan he promoted and developed is now the highest priority fundamental science project in the US called LBNF/DUNE.
Experimental Nuclear and Particle Physics. Rare decays of K-mesons, Neutrino Interactions, Neutrino Oscillations
Detector Development, Scintillation Detectors, Liquid Scintillator, Photo-multiplier Tubes, Readout Electronics.
Mentoring and Pedagogy
Detector commissioning for the ICARUS liquid argon detector at Fermilab. Calibration and analysis of the photo-sensor system for ICARUS
Analysis of neutrino oscillations data for sensitivity to sterile neutrinos using combinations of disappearance data.
Neutrino flux in the far-forward region of the LHC collisions at 14 TeV.
Design and management of the photo-sensor system for the Advanced Test Bed/Neutrino Experiment 1 project.
University of Colorado at Boulder, BA (Physics), 1982
Brown University, Sc.M. (Physics), 1984
Brown University, Ph.D. (Physics), 1988
Analysis leader in many collaborations: E787(rare kaon decays), MINOS (Neutrino oscillations)
Spokesperson for several experiments including LBNE.
HEPAP sub-panel on planning for the future of U.S. high energy
physics, 1997, Chaired by Prof. F. J. Gilman. Report DOE/ER-0718.
Member of numerous review panels for the DOE.
- Adamson P, An FP, Anghel I, et al (2020) Improved Constraints on Sterile Neutrino Mixing from Disappearance Searches in the MINOS, MINOS+, Daya Bay, and Bugey-3 Experiments. Physical Review Letters 125:. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.125.071801
- Bai W, Diwan M, Garzelli MV, et al (2020) Far-forward neutrinos at the Large Hadron Collider. Journal of High Energy Physics 2020:. https://doi.org/10.1007/jhep06(2020)032
- Diwan MV, Galymov V, Qian X, Rubbia A (2016) Long-Baseline Neutrino Experiments. Annual Review of Nuclear and Particle Science 66:47–71. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-nucl-102014-021939
- Adamson P, An FP, Anghel I, et al (2016) Limits on Active to Sterile Neutrino Oscillations from Disappearance Searches in the MINOS, Daya Bay, and Bugey-3 Experiments. Physical Review Letters 117:. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.117.151801
- An FP, Balantekin AB, Band HR, et al (2016) Improved Search for a Light Sterile Neutrino with the Full Configuration of the Daya Bay Experiment. Physical Review Letters 117:. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.117.151802
- Adamson P, Anghel I, Aurisano A, et al (2016) Search for Sterile Neutrinos Mixing with Muon Neutrinos in MINOS. Physical Review Letters 117:. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.117.151803
- An FP, Bai JZ, Balantekin AB, et al (2012) Observation of Electron-Antineutrino Disappearance at Daya Bay. Physical Review Letters 108:. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.108.171803
- Artamonov AV, Bassalleck B, Bhuyan B, et al (2008) New Measurement of theK+→π+νν¯Branching Ratio. Physical Review Letters 101:. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.101.191802
- Diwan MV, Beavis D, Chen M-C, et al (2003) Very long baseline neutrino oscillation experiments for precise measurements of mixing parameters andCPviolating effects. Physical Review D 68:. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevd.68.012002
- Adamson P, Andreopoulos C, Arms KE, et al (2008) Measurement of Neutrino Oscillations with the MINOS Detectors in the NuMI Beam. Physical Review Letters 101:. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.101.131802
Science and Technology award from Brookhaven National Laboratory, for ``Important experimental contributions to understand the properties of neutrinos.'' 2017
Co-recipient Break Through Prize for Daya Bay collaboration. ``For the fundamental discovery and exploration of neutrino oscillations, revealing a new frontier beyond, and possibly far beyond, the standard model of particle physics.'', 2015
Sociedade Brasileira de Fisica (SBF) and American Physical Society (APS) award for visiting professorship, 2015
Fellow of the American Physical Society, 2009