Career Development Workshop for Postdocs and Grad Students Wednesday, 9/11
August 27, 2013
The Association of Students & Postdocs (ASAP) board and Learning and Development Office invite postdocs and graduate students at Brookhaven Lab to attend a workshop, “Preparing for Careers in Industry,” on Wednesday, Sept. 11. It will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the south room of the Brookhaven Center (Bldg. 30).
“Postdocs are an integral part of the world-class research at Brookhaven Lab, but it’s expected that eventually we will move on as we advance our careers,” said Diane Zhong, a research associate in the Lab’s Chemistry Department and ASAP vice president, who helped coordinate the upcoming event. “For careers in industry, we must develop skills beyond traditional scientific and technical competencies. This workshop will help us plan the next steps to achieve our career goals.”
Randall Ribaudo of SciPhD Training will lead the workshop, focusing on topics including:
- The kinds of companies and jobs available for scientists
- Developing your personal brand: your scientific, business, and social identities
- Analyzing a job ad to identify the business and social skills required
- Developing a targeted resume from your self-assessment results and experience statements
- Strategies for submitting resumes, developing your “elevator pitch,” and communications etiquette
- Effective networking and building your network
- Preparing for interviews
The workshop is sponsored by ASAP and the Learning and Development Office in the Human Resources Division. It is free for all postdocs and graduate students with a valid Brookhaven life or guest number. The deadline to register is Tuesday, Sept. 10. Space is limited, so priority will be given to postdocs, followed by graduate students, in order of registration.
2013-4248 | INT/EXT | Newsroom