The Mini-Semester program provides undergraduate students interested in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields the opportunity to interact with scientists and research in a real-world setting at Brookhaven National Laboratory.
The one week Mini-Semester Program over the winter break allows students to participate in Brookhaven Lab related research project that includes:
- Team research project with results presented at the end of the program
- Opportunity to interact with Brookhaven Lab scientists and staff
- Attend lectures on current scientific research projects
- Guided tour of Brookhaven Lab's scientific facilities to observe research projects in progress
- Housing in a single occupancy dorm room and on-site transportation
- Currently enrolled in a full-time college or university as a sophomore, junior, or senior.
- At least 18 years of age
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Available for the entire program from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder) of the U.S.
- Active health insurance for the duration of the program
- Completed application by the student that is returned to faculty contact
- One recommendation from a faculty member.
- An essay NO MORE THAN 400 words that identifies three areas of research being conducted at Brookhaven Lab, the scientist performing that research and why interested in these areas