Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI)
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has established a national program to give research experience in areas of chemistry, physics, engineering, biology, nuclear medicine, applied mathematics, high- and low-energy. Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) offers student appointments though a national program titled the Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI) developed through DOE. Participants will be placed with members of the scientific and professional staff in an educational program developed to give research experience in areas such as chemistry, high- and low-energy physics, engineering, biology, nuclear medicine, applied mathematics. At BNL, a SULI appointment will include features which have been the mainstay of our undergraduate Student Program since 1952:
- You will participate in a cutting-edge scientific research program, directed by a BNL staff member. The nature of your research assignment will be determined after a review of your background and interests by our staff, relative to their current research activities.
- As a major user facility, BNL attracts visiting scientists and university faculty from across the US and internationally. Like them, you will be treated as a colleague in your research group and a full member of the BNL community - able, as time permits, to attend or take part in scientific seminars, visit major BNL facilities, and interact casually with other undergraduates, graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and technical staff, as well as your immediate research group. You may also participate in a wide variety of recreational activities available to Laboratory employees.
- You may have the chance to offer presentations of your research results verbally and/or in writing; your work may appear in a contribution to a scientific journal or BNL report. The goals of SULI at BNL are to offer not only a specific learning experience, but an exposure to the scientific enterprise to support future career developments.
- For all non-local students, dormitory-style single-room (air-conditioned) housing is made available.
More information about the SULI program is available through the DOE Office of Science website.
Who Is This Program Intended For
Undergraduate College Students
SULI Student Matias Rosner
October 22, 2019
University of Puerto Rico student Matias Rosner was a 2019 summer intern at Brookhaven Lab through the U.S. Department of Energy's Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) program. The SULI program encourages undergraduate students and recent graduates to pursue science, technology, engineering, and mathematics careers through an authentic research experience at Brookhaven Lab.
University of Puerto Rico student Mathias Rosner investigated machine learning during his internship at Brookhaven Lab through the Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships program.
Apply to the SULI program through the DOE Office of Science website.
- All Applications to the SULI program must be completed online through the online application system.
- The online application system will guide applicants through the application requirements.
- Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be considered for evaluation and placement.
- Materials uploaded into the application system will provide the sole basis for evaluation.
- The application system is not compatible with smartphones. Completion of applications and letters of recommendation requires use of a computer and web browser.