2021 Remote STEM-Prep Summer Institute
STEM-Prep Summer Institute is a four-week program to introduce high school students from traditionally underrepresented and underserved communities to the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields.
The STEM-Prep program provides students access to a real-world scientific research community that includes:
- Four one-week modules covering topics in physics, biology, chemistry, environmental science and scientific computing
- Experienced educators guiding participants through hands-on activities related to research topics supporting Brookhaven Lab and the Department of Energy’s mission to ensure America's security and prosperity by addressing its energy, environmental and nuclear challenges through transformative science and technology solutions
- Opportunity to meet scientific and technical staff to learn about careers in the STEM fields
The STEM Prep Summer Institute is a commuter program. Therefore, Brookhaven Lab will not provide housing or transportation to and from the Laboratory.
STEM Prep Summer Institute at Brookhaven National Laboratory
September 25, 2018
STEM Prep Summer Institute is a four-week science enrichment program for students who are members of an under-represented minority (African, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, or Pacific Islander). The program consists of modules that cover topics in physics, biology, chemistry, scientific computing, and environmental science.
- Ninth grade students from underrepresented (such as, American Indian/Alaska Native, Black/African American, Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander or LatinX) minorities in science
- Interest or potential interest in science-oriented studies and activities
- Available from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. for the duration of the four-week program
- Access to reliable transportation to and from the Laboratory
- U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder) of the U.S.
- Coordinate with science teacher, science or STEP coordinator or guidance counselor to support application into program
- Submit online application via a link provided by the recommending teacher etc.
- Interview may be required before final acceptance is made