Encryption Cyber Security
Brookhaven National Lab takes all safety very seriously, and that includes cyber security! In this lesson, students will learn about simple encryption and decryption of text files using a short C++ program. They will first try to decrypt a message by hand and then compare that with decrypting it using the code. Then using their new skills they will move on to decrypt a more challenging message. No coding knowledge is needed to enjoy this experience!
Vocabulary: Encryption, cipher, frequency histogram, ASCII, C++, algorithm
- Flexible instruction whether students are in the classroom or at home.
- Interactive, instructor-led session facilitated with students using materials from school or home. Can also be demonstration-based if students do not have access to materials.
- Teachers will receive a detailed Teacher Notes guide upon booking.
- Secure link to ZoomGov videoconferencing platform will be provided.
- $300 (BOCES-aidable)
- Time: 1 hour
- Contact us to schedule your field trip
New York State Standards
New York State Science Learning Standards
|Disciplinary Core Ideas||Crosscutting Concepts||Science and Engineering Practices|
|ETS1.C: Optimizing the Design Solution||Patterns||
Analyzing and Interpreting Data
Using Mathematical and Computational Thinking
Next Generation English Language Arts Standards
|Speaking and Listening||Language|
|Comprehension and Collaboration||Vocabulary Acquisition and Use|