Brookhaven National Lab’s National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS II) uses powerful X-rays to determine the atomic composition of batteries, proteins, and much more. In this lesson, students will learn the basics of spectroscopy and then apply their skills in an online game of “Name That Element!” May the best spectroscopist win!
Vocabulary: Element, spectroscopy, spectrum, energy levels, emission, absorption
- Flexible instruction whether students are in the classroom or at home.
- Interactive, instructor-led session facilitated with students using materials from school or home. Can also be demonstration-based if students do not have access to materials.
- Teachers will receive a detailed Teacher Notes guide upon booking.
- Secure link to ZoomGov videoconferencing platform will be provided.
- $300 (BOCES-aidable)
- Time: 1 hour
- Contact us to schedule your field trip
New York State Standards
New York State Science Learning Standards
|Disciplinary Core Ideas||Crosscutting Concepts||Science and Engineering Practices|
PS1.A: Structure and Properties of Matter
PS4.B: Electromagnetic Radiation
|Energy and Matter||Analyzing and Interpreting Data|
Next Generation English Language Arts Standards
|Speaking and Listening||Language|
|Comprehension and Collaboration
Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas
|Vocabulary Acquisition and Use|
New York State Standards for the Arts
|Visual Arts 11.2|