General Lab Information

International Travel

International travel by Laboratory employees may be subject to export control regulations depending on the travel destination and the hardware, software, and/or technical data that is taken, as well as what you will be doing and with whom you will be interacting.

Brookhaven National Laboratory is restricted by federal law from doing business with parties or entities listed on the Restricted Parties List, which includes parties for which the United States Government (USG) maintains restrictions on certain exports, reexports, or transfers of items. The screening incorporates multiple export screening lists of the Departments of Commerce, Department of State, and Treasury.

The Export Control Office can help you determine if export restrictions or controls apply to your travel and if an export license or other government approval is required before you depart.

Where are you going?

Travel to embargoed or sanctioned countries that have restrictions enforced by various departments of the USG requires advance review to ensure compliance with U.S. export control laws and regulations. If traveling to an embargoed or sanctioned country, please contact the Export Control Office prior to travel to evaluate export compliance requirements.

Sanctioned country information

Embargoed country information: Export Administration Regulations (EAR) Section 746 , IInternational Traffic Administration Regulations (ITAR) Part 126.1

What are you taking?

When you leave the U.S., even temporarily, with BNL equipment, software, or technology, what you take with you may be subject to U.S. export control laws and regulations.

When taking items abroad, you need to verify that the items (e.g., scientific equipment, laptops, encryption software, cell phones, tablets, flash drives, cameras, and GPS units) may be exported to your travel destination(s) without an export license or government authorization.

In most cases, BNL employees may take common items, software, and technology subject to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) outside of the U.S. under a “No License Required (NLR)” declaration unless this property is exported to a comprehensively sanctioned country.

When traveling, Customs agents may ask you to provide an Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) for each item you take. Please contact the Export Compliance Office to obtain the classification number for your specific item(s).


Most commercially available mass market software (such as Microsoft Office) can be exported without a license.

Proprietary software, software that includes encryption, and/or other complex software may require an export license and should be reviewed by the Export Compliance Office prior to export.

What will you be doing and with whom you will be interacting?

Presenting data or information in an international setting (including in the U.S. where the audience may include foreign nationals) that is not published, publicly available, or qualifies as Fundamental Research may result in an unauthorized export.

Interactions with colleagues
Sharing or discussing fundamental research, published, or publicly available information with foreign colleagues is allowed as long as the colleagues are not prohibited from receiving the information by the federal government (e.g., Specially Designated Nationals, employees or representatives of the government of a sanctioned country, or restricted parties).

Engaging in research or fieldwork outside of the U.S. may not qualify for the fundamental research exclusion, and U.S. export control regulations may apply until the work is published or is made publicly available. Prior to presenting or disclosing information resulting from research or fieldwork when outside of the U.S., determine if the information is subject to export control laws and regulations.


Travel Guidelines

This document outlines guidelines for Laboratory employees undertaking international travel to ensure compliance with export control regulations and national security interests.

International Travel FAQ

Frequently asked questions about conducting international travel as a Laboratory employee.


Int'l Travel Compliance Certification

Submit this form to indicate that you understand your responsibility relative to international travel on Lab business, including the export/import of hand-carried hardware, software, technology, or U.S. technical data.

Traveling with Equipment/Tech

Use this form to certify the accuracy of details provided about your intenrational trip involving the transport of export-controlled technology or technical data.