- Nuclear & Particle Physics
- Isotope Research & Production
- RIKEN BNL Research Center
Science Bowl at Brookhaven Lab, January 31
January 26, 2009
EVENT: One hundred students representing 20 high schools from Long Island will participate in a Regional Science Bowl competition, a fast-paced question-and-answer tournament designed to test their knowledge in biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, astronomy, earth science and general science. Media representatives are invited to attend, although the event is not open to the general public due to space limitations.
WHEN: Saturday, January 31, from 9 a.m. to approximately 4:30 p.m.
WHERE: Berkner Hall, Brookhaven National Laboratory. The Lab is located on William Floyd Parkway, one-and-a-half miles north of Exit 68 of the LI Expressway.
DETAILS: The Regional Science Bowl at Brookhaven Lab is part of the National Science Bowl® competition coordinated by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Since its inception in 1991, more than 130,000 high school students have participated in this “Jeopardy”-style contest. By participating in Science Bowl competitions, students are encouraged to excel in science and math and to pursue careers in those fields.
Similar to a sporting event, the competition is set up in a round-robin format in the morning during which all teams will compete, followed by a double-elimination final tournament in the afternoon for the top four teams. The team that answers the most questions correctly will win the top honor. All students will receive a Science Bowl T-shirt, and winning teams will receive a trophy or plaque and gift certificates. The first-place team will receive $500; second-place, $250; third-place, $125; and division winner, $75. All prizes and giveaways are courtesy of the event’s sponsors: Brookhaven Science Associates, The Long Island Science Center, and Teachers Federal Credit Union. The first-place team will get to participate in the National Science Bowl®, which will be held in Washington, DC, on April 30-May 5, 2009. A list of participating schools is provided.
All visitors to the Laboratory age 16 and over must bring a photo ID. Media representatives who plan to attend the event should notify Diane Greenberg, 631 344-2347.
- Comsewogue High School (HS), Port Jefferson Station
- Copiague HS, Copiague
- Deer Park HS, Deer Park
- Division Avenue High School, Levittown
- Elwood-John Glenn HS, East Northport
- Farmingdale HS, Farmingdale
- Great Neck South HS, Great Neck
- Half Hollow Hills HS West, Dix Hills
- Huntington HS, Huntington
- Jericho Senior HS, Jericho
- Locust Valley HS, Locust Valley
- Longwood HS, Middle Island
- MacArthur HS, Levittown
- Oyster Bay HS, Oyster Bay
- Portledge School, Locust Valley
- Saint Francis Preparatory School, Fresh Meadows
- South Side HS, Rockville Centre
- Southampton HS, Southampton
- William Floyd HS, Mastic/Shirley
- Ward Melville HS, East Setauket
2009-10902 | INT/EXT | Newsroom